Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I loosen the belt tensionor on my truck is there some trick cause I can't get it loose.... need to replace the alternator..

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts
Re: Belth Tensionor

find a socket that will fit the bolt thats in the middle of the idler pulley an with your break over or ratchet jus pull towards passenger side and it should spring back and let you get the belt off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

yeah that's not working. It is extremely tough, i can only budge it a little bit using all my might... not enough to get anything off... I don't see a spot to use a pry bar either to get the tension off...

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts

huh thats weird.... not sure what to tel ya:confused:

·
What else?
4,156 Posts

yeah that's not working. It is extremely tough, i can only budge it a little bit using all my might... not enough to get anything off... I don't see a spot to use a pry bar either to get the tension off...
Ensure that you would be loosening the bolt first, and that you are on the bolt for the pulley, and gently hit the tensioner with a hammer, in the area where it bolts to the engine, it may be seized.

Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theres only one torx 50 bolt on the tensioner, I assume thats the one.

·
Registered
797 Posts
IIRC there's a bolt on the tensioner itself, but also one that goes through the pulley. It's the pulley bolt you need to be on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the bolt on the pulley itself.. won't that just take the roller off? I"m alittle confused..

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's tight enough to put your ratchet on it and move the tensioner...again, IIRC.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The one with the Torx bolt is not the tensioner, it's just a pulley.
The tensioner is farther down the passenger side front. With the motor running you should see it shimmy up and down as the engine idles. Grab that pulley with a long breaker bar and socket and pull on it (lefty loosy), then take the belt off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it worked!. Thanks everyone, new 250amp alternator installed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts