Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys getting to the tensioner to loosen it? Trying not to do the alternator tip. Is there a special tool?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i use a 1/2 drive breaker bar or long handled rachet

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
my 6.0 I grab the belt with 1 hand and pull and flip the tensioner hold open with the other hand
should work for you ?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure if I can get a ratchet or breaker bar in there.
Damn Zmann. I feel im fairly strong but I dont know about that strong. Gonna try it out never done it before. Theres a thing that slides over to hold it from tensing back up? tech used a small rod to hold my tensioners on my 6.4.

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
if u have a welder you can make a tool

weld a 1/2 square stock on a peice of flat steel or if use the tip from 1/2 extension

here is the idea

·
burning mine saving yours
183 Posts
my 6.0 I grab the belt with 1 hand and pull and flip the tensioner hold open with the other hand
should work for you ?
This. Research it, google it, youtube it if you have to. A lot of guys don't know this tensioner is there and makes the job SOO much easier.

Here's what i do;

Pull the belt towards the passenger side wheel well with two hands. If im not mistaken on mine when you pull it tensioner springs into place and as i gently let go of belt slack develops. That's how i know im in the spot. To release it pull with both hands, let go and hold belt with one hand and flip the tensioner off casing, voila.

Back when i was buying bunk alternators from autozone, i got good enough where i could swap an alternator in/out in less than 5. LOVE that spring tensioner! genious....

·
burning mine saving yours
183 Posts
Actually the more i think about it, the tensioner springs out of place, not into place..

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
Rockn Roll
I think you have to activate the hold open manually but to disengage it thats when you just pull the belt and it pops out of the hold open position automatically IIRC

·
Bad spark plug! No cookie
32 Posts
Use a 1/2" drive breaker bar. Remove the passenger side battery or else you cant get the angle right. Also a large ratchet is too big. Have a half dozen zip ties standing by so you can rig up the belt in place so it stays on the pulleys correctly once you remove your accessory. You don't want to have to start yanking engine fans, shrouds or possibly radiator to reroute serpentine belt.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Im not sure if I can get a ratchet or breaker bar in there.
Damn Zmann. I feel im fairly strong but I dont know about that strong. Gonna try it out never done it before. Theres a thing that slides over to hold it from tensing back up? tech used a small rod to hold my tensioners on my 6.4.
I have tons of room...so anything i use will fit haha!

Attachments

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
I use a claw hammer against the alternator housing. Use the claw to move the belt like pulling a nail. With your other hand engage the kick stand on the pulley. Keep tension on the belt with your hand as you remove it from the alt pulley. Use the hammer routed thru the belt and laid across the engine and fan shroud to hold it in place... The belt thru the handle and as a bridge so to say. I had the alt in and out of my 04 3 times and have replaced 3 alts on the 06. It is a 15min job tops once you know how.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
1/2" breaker bar and use the lock tab to hold the arm in place. 99 ways to skin a cat.........

·
Registered
168 Posts
im not sure how some of you guys get breaker bar in there...

I use my 1/2 craftsman rachet and take my jack handle for leverage then pull on it and take the belt off the alternator and use a bungie from the passenger fender to keep in tensioned on the other pullies

I have done this twice :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
When i had my factory fan and all the shrouding....i used a tensioner pulley tool that is nothing more than a thin flat bar that is a couple feed long that uses a 1/2" adapter that is put into one end on the bar and then into the pulley. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow...it works really slick.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
haha thanks. IDK why but i missed that vid. Yeah, that's similar to the tool i have. I can inter change the ends with a 3/8" adapter also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts