Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
A-Hole
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen guys that buy the Haldex gear driven pump and mount it to the international powersteering pump resivoir (simaler to swamps gen3) but why cant one make a belt driven hpop? Find a pump simaler and mount it and run the lines and tie into the heads? kinda like adding a gen3 but instead of gear driven its belt driven?

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Ive seen guys that buy the Haldex gear driven pump and mount it to the international powersteering pump resivoir (simaler to swamps gen3) but why cant one make a belt driven hpop? Find a pump simaler and mount it and run the lines and tie into the heads? kinda like adding a gen3 but instead of gear driven its belt driven?
I've always wondered that EXACT same thing...

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
I believe it was Swamps that tried that many years ago.
They had the problem that the belt kept slipping when they hit the higher pressures & RPMs. A belt large enough to carry the power was prohibitively large (and expensive).

They also experimented with a variable displacement pump, but the controls were an SOB to build and tune.
The variable displacement pump would probably have worked if they could have added the control logic to the PCM and used some of the variables the PCM uses for ICP/IPR to control the pump.

·
Registered
545 Posts
gear drive > belt drive, why take a step back?

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts
I believe it was Swamps that tried that many years ago.
They had the problem that the belt kept slipping when they hit the higher pressures & RPMs. A belt large enough to carry the power was prohibitively large (and expensive).

They also experimented with a variable displacement pump, but the controls were an SOB to build and tune.
The variable displacement pump would probably have worked if they could have added the control logic to the PCM and used some of the variables the PCM uses for ICP/IPR to control the pump.
The gen 2 was a large swash plate pump, not variable. Belt driven won't work, it's been tried and failed a while ago

-Michael

·
All Jacked up on Mt Dew!!
148 Posts
If it was put in with a cogg dedicated belt drive system , it would take out the slip!

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
If it was put in with a cogg dedicated belt drive system , it would take out the slip!
And that is $$$$, is it not? It also ties up alot more room, that we dont have a surplus of to begin with.

Dave

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The duel hpop set up for the 6.0 has a belt driven pump.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Beddins had a belt driven variable swash plate HPOP in about 2002 on his personal 7.3.

I also have seen where Beddins made a belt driven HPOP for a 6.0 as well about a year ago or so.

·
Registered
964 Posts
To me, it would make more sense to ditch the PS pump and stock LPOP. Then use a 2 or 3 stage belt driven oil pump. 1 stage for the PS, 1 stage for the LP oil, and a 3rd stage for the HPOP. You could keep the HP and LP oils separate that way, and w compounds, or applications where more oil pressure is needed, you'd have as much as you could want. Just something I've been thinking about.

Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts