Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pouring rain here this morning, I just get in my development and I hear a noise and see lights light up on my dash, I shut it down immediately, get out in this down pour and find my serpentine belt is off maybe broken, etc. I didn't spend any extra time looking at it cause it was ah raining...raining hard that is

Turned around and parked it back in my driveway, went in the house to change and dry off, then drove my brother's mini van to work.

Question is why did I not have normal brakes? I could stop but I had no power brakes.

Oh and turning this beast is not the easiest without power steering.

Its a good start to the week for me...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The belt drives a vacuum pump for the brakes. No pump, no power assist. Look at your accessories, pulleys, belt tensioner closely as belts don't usually just fall off or break.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Because you need vacuum for your brakes to work. When the belt broke the vacuum pump stopped along with all of the other accessories.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts

·
SIZE MATTERS
60 Posts
You had no brakes because our trucks do not make vacuum. They require a vacuum pump that is turned by the serpentine belt located directly above the power steering pump. So when the belt broke the vacuum pump wasnt making and vacuum. No vacuum no brakes.

Hope this cleared it up for ya.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense - that there is a vacuum pump.

I know these serpentine belts don't normally just break - so hopefully its just an idler pulley or something simple. I just started driving my truck again, tranny died on January 13th, and I finally had enough $$$ to get it fixed and back on the road on April 29th

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, it been a long day at work waiting to get home to see what is wrong.....just a couple more hours. Then I'll go to my daughter's High School Fastpitch Softball Game, then home.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
On my 93 there was a recall for the tension pulley, it would lock up and everything stopped working.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had a belt break while on was on vacation one time. My alternator seized up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well - my belt was shot, it actually broke, and there were other cracks. I actually had a spare DAYCO GOLD belt under the back seat.

Yesterday I was unsure if this Dayco Gold belt existed only in my mind or if it was really there. I was happy to see it, and I remember something about a new belt when I bought this truck a year ago.

I spun everything but the crank shaft and it all felt fine, pinched my finger when the vacuum pump released pressure, that felt good... Started the truck and went for a short drive. Coco my Lab was really happy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts