Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I got a new project. Its a 96 RC LB 5spd 4x4 Powerstroke. It's what we call I'm in way over my head. lol. But I was wondering while the bed is off and I'm cleaning the frame and painting it, is there anything else I should do or look for while its off?? Any tips or tricks to anything before the new bed goes on. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Check your rear tank for leaks. With the bed off, it is easiest to replace the tank or the o-ring on the sending unit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Fix the fill neck maybe...Mines smaller and pukes diesel when i fill it

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I just had the bed off to fix a fuel sender... I cleaned out a lot of little stuff. For me, a surprising improvement was to clear out the years of dirt that plugged the vent lines for the tanks and rear housing. I had no idea they were plugged and although I didn't do much with the filler necks, the tanks now fill much better because they vent the way they were intended to. The plugged axle vent could have also caused the axle seal failure...

I pressure washed the crap out of the frame but didnt do any painting. My question was, beyond a piss coat of paint on just the stuff you see, these frames are rusty when they leave the factory. It could have never been cleaned up the way I wanted to do it without removing everything (fuel tanks, lines, etc). In the end, it would have done nothing for me or the frame.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I just had the bed off to fix a fuel sender... I cleaned out a lot of little stuff. For me, a surprising improvement was to clear out the years of dirt that plugged the vent lines for the tanks and rear housing. I had no idea they were plugged and although I didn't do much with the filler necks, the tanks now fill much better because they vent the way they were intended to. The plugged axle vent could have also caused the axle seal failure...

I pressure washed the crap out of the frame but didnt do any painting. My question was, beyond a piss coat of paint on just the stuff you see, these frames are rusty when they leave the factory. It could have never been cleaned up the way I wanted to do it without removing everything (fuel tanks, lines, etc). In the end, it would have done nothing for me or the frame.

You have the LUXURY of living is a salt free state, unlike the OP

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My bad, I caught his location after my rust bragging post... lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
You have the LUXURY of living is a salt free state, unlike the OP
lol...Yeah...we only use liquid anti-icer, liquid de-icer and a mix of sand and salt when it gets "really bad" like if we have two inches and the yayhoos freak out... We used to be immune to it... but 2 years of hauling my sled across mtn passes with my 69 Ford did more damage to it than the previous 40 yrs combined when they started using the chemicals here in WA. I try not to drive my PSD when they are spraying and wash it well if I am forced to.

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input fella's.. Got the bed off bout a half hour ago... Look's like the two font spring hangers are shot..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts