Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad bed tilt. Where the bed meets the cab is level, but there is at least a two inch difference between the height of the left and right sides at the tailgate. Body bushings appear okay. Rear leaf spring bushings are cracked, but are identically worn on each side. I'm the second owner, but it does not appear the truck has ever been in an accident that would cause a bent frame.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
That's not tilted, that's twisted. There are two (or is it three?) cross-rails on the bottom of the bed (welded into the bed) that sit on the frame. I'm thinking that rail has rusted and/or collapsed in the back on the left side. Sticker on the tailgate suggests this truck, previous to its present sun-belt home, has a northern provenance (Sioux Falls SD?). There's this stuff we use up here called road salt, and.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, sir -- it's twisted, and I bought it in Sioux Falls, SD. You should work as a CSI;-) I'm fortunate with respect to the rust -- there is normal surface rust on the frame, but very, very little on the under-body. Cross rails are in-tact and not crushed or rusted. Truck is in pretty good shape if you can ignore the twist -- only 120K miles. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have you measured the distance between the frame and bed? and frame/bed and ground? My truck sits the same way and took me a while to find the issue of 2 different rear springs in the truck. If the mesurment between the frame and bed are the same then you know its a frame/spring issue

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try that.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Body mounts. the rear passenger side LOVES to crush

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what ended up being the problem
Sorry for the late reply. Zrock is probably right. I'm pretty sure that the left spring has sprung. I ran a string between the spring hanger bolts and measured from the string to the center of the spring's u-bolt plate. There is a 2" difference between the spring on the right and left.

I've been doing some research on the 99-05 B Code spring mod, but I can't figure out exactly what needs to be done in order to do it. From what I can gather, it requires some drilling. Can't figure-out if the drilling is required to enlarge the spring hanger holes, or if the frame needs to be redrilled to remount the spring hanger.

Any help is appreciated.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
You need to drill out the front hanger to match the SD spring.

IF I remember correctly, you also need to drill out the shack to match the SD spring as well.

I am still betting on a bad cab mount bushing

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Brad. It may be the bushing, but the springs are off by 2", so there is something suspect about that. It couldn't hurt to replace the suspect springs and mod for a better ride at the same time. It may fix the twist, but if it doesn't, at least I have a smooth riding, twisted truck. If it's a body bushing -- then screw it. That's in the "too hard to do box" right now.

Just so I don't get into this over my head. There is no drilling into the frame for the B-Code mod, right? Just enlarging holes in the mounting system (Front Spring Hanger and Rear Shackle) to fit larger spring eye bushings of the B-Code springs?

Also, I've seen recommendations to get OEM springs only, vice aftermarket springs. Does that sound like good advice?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am still betting on a bad cab mount bushing[/QUOTE]

You may be the most hated guy on this forum (your words), but you come-up with some very, very sage advice. For the most part, you were correct. It was a cab mount bushing. I took the bed off to eliminate that as a factor in the equation. That's when I discovered that the rear cab bushing was 1/2" lower (more squished) than the right. Replaced them all. Before and after pics attached.

I also shimmed the bed to bring the cab and bed lines level. I then inserted one more 1/4" shim under the left rear bed bolt (so it was partially the bed as well). Everything from front rad supports, through cab supports, to rear bed bolts are within 2mm tolerance. Looks great, but I have to be honest, those Poly bushings transfer a lot of road vibration -- ugh!

I also wirewheeled and POR-15d the frame, drivetrain and suspension. Needless to say, I no longer cringe when walking up to my truck from behind. It's level, and there are no rusty pieces peeking-out from underneath.

So ultimately: it was a crushed right rear cab bushing making the cab tilt to the right, and a incorrectly shimmed bed, which made the bed tilt to the left. Hence, the reason it looked twisted. However, all fixed now. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My favorite view

Attachments

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Looks good, glad you figured it out. Too bad some JO welded that gooseneck hitch to your frame.

Also, is that grease on the body mounts compatible with polyurethane?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good, glad you figured it out. Too bad some JO welded that gooseneck hitch to your frame.

Also, is that grease on the body mounts compatible with polyurethane?
Yeah, goose neck was a pain to remove, but an angle grinder made relatively short work of it. Grease is White Lithium -- safe for Poly bushings. There may be some anti-seize in there too. It’s hard to keep all that goop separate when putting it all back together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts