Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the truck investigating the location of the bolts and decided that since they weren't real rusty to give the back one (near the gate) a go.... it tried to kick my azz and started spinning. I ended up sawzalling the head off and eventually got the nut off. With the head off, the bolt shaft is oval and so is the hole in the bed, but the bed hole is a tad larger. Will all of them likely have this same issue, or, it this hole just a little wallered?

In reinstalling the bolt, how is everyone holding the carriage bolt still to torque the nut?

I'm now wondering if changing the front tank sender is a huge priority at the moment... perhaps dropping the tank will just be easier...

I read some old bed removal threads and got a couple of tips, but any extra help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I removed my bed on my F150 when i had it. I had to cut all of the old bolts off. The easiest way to do it is to cut the nut off of the bottom of the bolt, either with a torch, a cut off wheel, or a sawzall. If you use carriage bolts as new bolts you can put the nuts on with an impact gun and use a lockwasher beneath the nut because otherwise they may fall off. The impact gun will usually tighten the nut on fast enough so the bolt doesn't spin but if it does still spin, have somebody sit in the bed with pliers and have them hold the bolt while you impact it on. After it is snug against the bed it will hold itself from spinning. Good luck with the sending unit.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man-- you confirmed it and I've been reading a few creative ideas.

In summary, there is no 'easy' way-- so if you remove the bed, make it count. :confused:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
on my 97, someone removed the bed at one time and they had bed bolts spin.

They had to be creative because the heads of the bolts were Rhino lined over:doh:

They drilled a hole thru the outer part of the carriage bolt head and then thru the bed. then then put a punch thru the hole they drilled to keep the bolt from spinning.

When I removed the bed I just cut the bedliner off the bolts and welded a nut to the head of the carriage bolt and held it with a wrench.
All the bolts were replaced with grade 8 standard hex head bolts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, the tacked nut suggestion is a good one. I want to pull the bed, I guess I need to sack up.

·
Dents..it's a work truck.
5 Posts
i tack welded the bolt head to the floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts