Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at intake plenums why are ***'s plenums just flat aluminum while beans are raised like stock?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
im looking at intake plenums why are ***'s plenums just flat aluminum while beans are raised like stock?
I have both, and both are a step up over the stock plenums.

With that said, the AJM billet plenums, that Beans sells, completely blow away the *** plenums. Both are expensive, but at least with the AJM's you get what you pay for - nice machine work and a solid boot connection. The *** plenums are way overpriced for what they are - a flat plate with an unfinished piece of 6061 tube welded on. However, they are still less expensive than the billet AJM's.

More clearance with the *** plenums and twice as much room for clamps. Both work well, but I prefer more clearance in the valley.
I would prefer more clearance too, if I sold a large, ungainly pump system.

For the record, the AJM's will hold 60+psi of boost with one clamp without moving a millimeter. In fact, they are so well designed, that you could probably run them without clamps and only have minimal leakage.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
subscribing ....been looking into both as well...

·
Registered
184 Posts
We dyno tested both the Hi-Rise billet plenums and our newer flat-style before we ever started selling them. Our testing didn't show a single advatnage to the hi-rise style performance wise, while they do look nice, there is a lot of time/labor involved in them.

We have never had a single issue with our new style plenums and they are holding up just fine on our dragster at over 100-psi boost pressures. We should also note, we also supply a gasket for sealing them to the head service, no more messy silicone.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I would prefer more clearance too, if I sold a large, ungainly pump system.
What is that supposed to mean?

For the record, the AJM's will hold 60+psi of boost with one clamp without moving a millimeter. In fact, they are so well designed, that you could probably run them without clamps and only have minimal leakage.
I can use two clamps on each plenum, and two more on the Y(8 total). They don't move .001 and hold 76.9 lbs. The 97 will exceed 100psi with the same set-up. Making space in the valley is good for the oil system and for the extra plumbing from the Twins. And of course, with the economy price matters.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
What is that supposed to mean?
Did I stutter?

I can use two clamps on each plenum, and two more on the Y(8 total). They don't move .001 and hold 76.9 lbs. The 97 will exceed 100psi with the same set-up. Making space in the valley is good for the oil system and for the extra plumbing from the Twins. And of course, with the economy price matters.
That's all very special. However, the fact remains that you have experience with only one of the products being discussed here, and you are making claims as to the performance of a vehicle that has never run. If you add those two facts up, your commentary is irrelevant.

So, taking price out of the equation, the AJM's are the clear winner. The manner in which they interface with the boot is essentially bombproof and requires only one clamp. Why would you want to use extra clamps when one is all you need?

Or do you just prefer to use two of everything? Two clamps, two pumps, two turbos, etc. Have you ever considered that's twice the amount of stuff to break?

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Did I stutter?

That's all very special. However, the fact remains that you have experience with only one of the products being discussed here, and you are making claims as to the performance of a vehicle that has never run. If you add those two facts up, your commentary is irrelevant.

So, taking price out of the equation, the AJM's are the clear winner. The manner in which they interface with the boot is essentially bombproof and requires only one clamp. Why would you want to use extra clamps when one is all you need?

Or do you just prefer to use two of everything? Two clamps, two pumps, two turbos, etc. Have you ever considered that's twice the amount of stuff to break?
Anthony, you are mistaken. I have experience with all plenums available on the market. Just because they are not on my truck, does not mean I have never delt with them. Is that clear enough? Which vehicle has never ran, that you speak of?

As for clamps, didn't you use V bands? Could V bands not be easily welded to ***'s plenums? Twice the stuff to break? So, better to only own one of everything? So, No twin turbo for you(Blower+turbo, two turbo's, etc.)? I hope your not planning on running two batterys! LOL

FYI:
Wide Open Performance said:
We dyno tested both the Hi-Rise billet plenums and our newer flat-style before we ever started selling them. Our testing didn't show a single advantage to the hi-rise style performance wise, while they do look nice, there is a lot of time/labor involved in them.
Looks like the OPs question was answered.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Anthony, you are mistaken. I have experience with all plenums available on the market. Just because they are not on my truck, does not mean I have never delt with them. Is that clear enough? Which vehicle has never ran, that you speak of?

As for clamps, didn't you use V bands? Could V bands not be easily welded to ***'s plenums? Twice the stuff to break? So, better to only own one of everything? So, No twin turbo for you(Blower+turbo, two turbo's, etc.)? I hope your not planning on running two batterys! LOL
V-bands, two batteries, etc. It looks like you're digging deep. ;) ;) ;)

Keep up the awesome cheerleading for ***. I'm sure you'll help them just as much as you helped Jody. :doh:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Arent you cheering Beans?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Arent you cheering Beans?
I'm cheering a quality product that is available from multiple sources. Beans happens to be one of them.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'm cheering a quality product that is available from multiple sources. Beans happens to be one of them.
Joey feels the same way.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Joey feels the same way.
:whs:

I support multiple vendors even if they have competing products. As for the ***/ Beans intake question, I like the fact that one offers more clearance. Personally, I'm moving in a different direction.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It's good to see that you two are so in touch with each others feelings.
It is good, I think its our communication that keeps us going strong he is always there for me when I need someone the most.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts