Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I am about to be getting some stage 2 160/100 injectors in next week or so. I have a few questions.

What all maintenance should I do while I'm putting them in? New to diesels so I dont really alot about them so i figured you guys would chime in. If anyone has a good source for the Oring kits let me know, Ive seen a few on ebay and a few from sponsors(would rather pay a little more to a sponsor).

Another thing is tuning. Im currently running Jody(DP) tunes and I like them alot and have no problems with them. I am trying to decide to let him reflash me or if i should get Beans tuning. So if anyone has or had beans stage 2 injectors and DP tuning could you let me know? And please no DP bashing they have really helped me out more than once with a few issues i had.

I have PMR's so i dont plan on going to crazy with HP, so I think with these injectors and a good tune i should be around 400~ which is good for me. I dont really want to upgrade the turbo, unless i need to do it to make it safer and easier to drive.

Sorry for the long and rambling post.

·
Getting Faster...
150 Posts
With stage 2s, you already need more turbo than stock. It's maxed out with stock injectors and hot tunes.

Torque the rocker arms while you're in there. The injectors should come with O-rings -- which O-rings are you looking for?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im getting a set of used stage 2s 160/100 single shots(cant remember if i had already posted that) so im going to get some more injectors.

I know what you mean on the turbo being maxed out, but I just don't think i could get the full potential of a 38 without killing my PMR's. I'm sure a lot of people run bigger turbos, but i was thinking the risk of a little more power(before i maxed out the rods) wouldn't be worth the additional cost.

What does everyone think about running the stock turbo on stage 2's. What kind of numbers and what if any problems will their be? If i need to upgrade the turbo for a safety/longevity issue i would.

THanks again for all the help.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Yeah, talk to Beans about your turbo options. The stock turbo with the .84 exhaust housing and those stage 2's will run the EGT up and most likely result in turbo surge. With a larger exhaust housing you'll help reduce the EGT's, backpressure and stop the surge.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im getting a set of used stage 2s 160/100 single shots(cant remember if i had already posted that) so im going to get some more injectors.

I know what you mean on the turbo being maxed out, but I just don't think i could get the full potential of a 38 without killing my PMR's. I'm sure a lot of people run bigger turbos, but i was thinking the risk of a little more power(before i maxed out the rods) wouldn't be worth the additional cost.

What does everyone think about running the stock turbo on stage 2's. What kind of numbers and what if any problems will their be? If i need to upgrade the turbo for a safety/longevity issue i would.

THanks again for all the help.
I think you will be better off with a 38R with those injectors. Better EGT's,Backpressure, and you could set your wastegate to 36psi to be on the safe side.
FWIW I am running DP tuner with my hybrids and 38R turbo at 40psi with PMR's.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
So if anyone has or had beans stage 2 injectors and DP tuning could you let me know?
I had DP tuning for a while with my Stage 2's and like my Bean's tunes the best. More driveablility, quite a bit less smoke, more power, etc.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
BEANS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!! they have a few trucks with pmr's at 450+ its all in the tuning... jonathan is the man over at beans

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks everyone for all the help, which is why i like this site more than some of the others!

Looks like im going to have to do something to the turbo to be reliable and not break anything.

Im trying to decide now if i should spend the 1500-1700 on a 38 or if i should just get a bigger housing. I only want to be around 400~ hp, seems to be several people running that mount with beans and no issues.

I know the 38 is a better option, but for my goals would it be better to spend 300 or so fixing my stock turbo or to spend 1600 for the 38.

Any more ideas and opinions would be great! Beans if you guys want to jump in feel free. I talked to someone at your shop last week before i bought the sticks. I guess if i get the 38 i might have to make a hour or so drive up to you guys for live tuning eventually.....

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well im sure i will want more. But at what cost.... I would rather have 20-50 less hp and have the truck last a extra 100k.

I know you have to pay to play, I would just like to get a safe 400~ hp with these injectors and not spend anything extra unless it will help it last a little longer.

The main thing i dont want to do is spend a few hundred bucks on the van turbo or bigger exhaust and have to get the 38 in a few months after the stocker dies on me.

Thanks everyone for all the help and sorry for the rambling

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
Get the 38R. You wont be dissapointed with it. I dont have stock injectors and I love my 38R. I loved it even more when I had stage IIs. With that turbo and stage IIs you can easily light your tires off the line. I had tunes on my truck for the injectors to be detuned a bit.

·
Banned
814 Posts
get the 38R... you will kill the stock turbo with the stage 2s... upgrading the stocker is just a bandaid... im running stage 2s and a 38R on my PMR motor and i have been trying to blow it up for over a year... it wont die and it reg sees 2000*+ egt tems....

the 38R will run cooler = better for motor
38R will last longer = better then stock
38R will have less drive pressure = better for motor

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
beans injectors, id run beans tunes.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Not arguing against the 38R but if the $ is the issue the Van turbo is a great turbo for the $. Has the 1.15 housing will reduce EGT's and drive pressure along with no surge, Plenty of folks running it with good results.

·
Registered
138 Posts
pm sent

·
Registered
686 Posts
If Beans says a looser housing is ok, thats good enough in my book. They are not internet racers like alot of people commenting in this thread:poke::poke:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts