Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is comparable between these two turbos? I believe i may have a turbo nearing death so i'm trying to figure out what to get next.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.
I have oil inside the discharge horn but I have had the ccv routed to the rear of the truck since 2004. Doing some research leads me to believe that I have developed an internal leak.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,346 Posts
might want to make sure your hose going to the rear doesn't have a sag in it causing it to fill with oil and plugging the ccv...that will force the ccv pressure to look for a another easy way out...unsurely its a week oring...i dont have much smell or smoke running delo 400 so my hose ends right the bottom of the oil pan just like IH does it..

·
Wheelie Dude
2,126 Posts
Turbo's will always have some oil in them, they do not seal up perfectly. If shaft play is within reason its probably ok but we would gladly sell you a new one. :)

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,346 Posts
that D66 is one nice turbo..you wont find a bad post on it in this forum any where...i wish it had more miles on it when i did my swap over..if i new what i know about that turbo now, back then..i would have the D66 on my truck right now....its perfect drop in for the early bird..

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo's will always have some oil in them, they do not seal up perfectly. If shaft play is within reason its probably ok but we would gladly sell you a new one. :)

You'd do that for me! ;)

The shaft has little play in it that I can feel but it spools a lot slower now compared to the last few years.

If my injector buzz test or the cylinder contribution tests come back that i have bad injector(s) then I may have to hit you guys up.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that D66 is one nice turbo..you wont find a bad post on it in this forum any where...i wish it had more miles on it when i did my swap over..if i new what i know about that turbo now, back then..i would have the D66 on my truck right now....its perfect drop in for the early bird..
RPS,
what type of turbo you got? I saw that Lott has a BB non ebv set up on sale so since I it seemed mine was on the fritz I was trying to get some comparisions so if i had to make a buy, I could may an informed purchase. Esp considering, I may have to get injectors at the same time.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,346 Posts
i have the BB that dave has on sale..but if you have the early 99..you will first need to up date with 99.5-03 parts such as new up pipes and collector at the back of the turbo, new spider,new intake plenums and the pedistal..you can watch the classifieds for them parts but could take time..cost wise..if you do have the early bird...the D66 is 1/2 the cost and will take you to 450hp mark with the right sticks..was your truck built before 12/7/98 ??

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have done my sig :doh:

I'm not really looking for a specific power mark so to speak. Good #'s, 400 or so would be great but I need reliability, the ability to tow and mileage. I don't pull anything but should i ever sell, I need to make sure it is marketable.
The GF can't touch the peddles and can't drive a stick, so it has honestly crossed my mind. We(she) has a kiddio and I have settled down and would consider it, if the right price was offered.
BUT for now, I need to keep my truck in shape, hence the Q&A.
thanks for you input.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
This thread is a lot different from what i've read in the past? You guys are saying the D66 is just as good of a turbo as the 38r?

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
It's not as durable, but flows as much or more air and with some good tunes will probably last a really long time.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
It's not as durable, but flows as much or more air and with some good tunes will probably last a really long time.
well my question is.... is it worth swapping over to the SD stuff if i can do it for lets say around 300 haha?

Then buy a 38r and put it on.

or should i just leave well enough alone and find a D66 which would be like $700 less in the end

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bob has them on sale right now. His business is a lot more pre-occupied now though.... but Matt at BDP said the 38GTPR would suit me fine so i did. We'll see how Matts Stg 1 sticks and this turns out.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
If you can do the swap for a good price like $300 then yes I would go the 38r rout and get the 3in plenums and all that good stuff not to mention bellowed up pipes and all those exhust pieces that are not available to us non 99.5 up guys.otherwise the d66 is a fine turbo and will feed your needs of small hybrids,stag2's and less.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If you can do the swap for a good price like $300 then yes I would go the 38r rout and get the 3in plenums and all that good stuff not to mention bellowed up pipes and all those exhust pieces that are not available to us non 99.5 up guys.otherwise the d66 is a fine turbo and will feed your needs of small hybrids,stag2's and less.
yeah I will have hybrids eventually and am going to try and hit 500hp so a D66 just has to be out of the question. even if i do like the price

·
Crusty old Bastich
387 Posts
yeah I will have hybrids eventually and am going to try and hit 500hp so a D66 just has to be out of the question. even if i do like the price
Sorry, but I disagree. My d66 has 110,000 miles, 40,000 with 238cc/100 over nozzles and has dyno'ed on bean's @ 500+ hp. AND when I need to freshin it up, less than 150 bucks will put it in new condition. You can't do that with a 38r.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree. My d66 has 110,000 miles, 40,000 with 238cc/100 over nozzles and has dyno'ed on bean's @ 500+ hp. AND when I need to freshin it up, less than 150 bucks will put it in new condition. You can't do that with a 38r.
Your one of the only ones then. A 38r wont need to be rebuilt so i can save my 150.

And i'd rather not pay a grand for a modded stock turbo

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
Your one of the only ones then. A 38r wont need to be rebuilt so i can save my 150.

And i'd rather not pay a grand for a modded stock turbo
WB Jim! In reality with good tunes, the D66 will probably hold up pretty well with hybrids. Jim's truck is proving that. It uses a heavier duty journal bearing than stock also, so it's not like it's just a stock turbo with a bigger wheel. Journal bearings aren't bad - remember h2e's use them.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts