Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the quicker spooling, what are the benefits in terms of reliability of a BB turbo over it's stock counterpart. I want a BB, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.

I currently have a GDS aftermarket turbo which has been said to be the same as the TN non-BB turbo. It has run well, but is beginning to leak a bit of oil through the exhaust.

I had heard a year or so ago that the GTP 38R had surge problems?? True or false?? Also how does the GTP-38R compare to the TN BB unit?

These are only questions meant to educate my buy decision. I am hoping not to incite a riot.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Aside from the quicker spooling, what are the benefits in terms of reliability of a BB turbo over it's stock counterpart. I want a BB, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.

I currently have a GDS aftermarket turbo which has been said to be the same as the TN non-BB turbo. It has run well, but is beginning to leak a bit of oil through the exhaust.

I had heard a year or so ago that the GTP 38R had surge problems?? True or false?? Also how does the GTP-38R compare to the TN BB unit?

These are only questions meant to educate my buy decision. I am hoping not to incite a riot.
The Garrett BB is still the top choice of proven drop in turbos and the surge issue is more common on the Internet than in real life.
I'll stop now and not post again in this thread so as not to fuel the part in bold;)

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Aside from the quicker spooling, what are the benefits in terms of reliability of a BB turbo over it's stock counterpart. I want a BB, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.Quicker spooling was not part of the plan, it is a side benefit. The double ball bearing was used because it is more durable at higher boost levels you will get with this turbo.

I had heard a year or so ago that the GTP 38R had surge problems?? True or false?? false Also how does the GTP-38R compare to the TN BB unit? It's twice as good

Since my buddy is skeered to answer, I'll answer. Besides, I like riots.

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
i have been very happy with my tn bb.i feel it out performs my stock turbo hands down.i can't speak for the gtp38r i have never ran one.from what i have read on the forum the gtp38r is a good turbo also.i think it would be your personal prefference and probably price.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Since my buddy is skeered to answer, I'll answer. Besides, I like riots.
I cant believe i am agreeing with u 444!!!!:poke: but u are right. to me they are both good turbos, but the Garrett has been out a lot longer and is more proven. some people have had surge issues, but it really isnt that many when u compare how many Garretts are out there.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
I haven't tried the TN BB but I am very happy with my 38R. I think it may be the best drop in hands down.

·
Banned
2,283 Posts
OMG... why dont we just make a TN vs 38R sticky and not have anymore of these stupid turbo thread??

No offense to the OP... the whole turbo thing in general just gets old...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the opines. What about oil leaking into the exhaust. Is the bearing cartridge and shaft sealed the same as the standard Garrett with a C ring? That seems like a weak point at least in my experience.

Also, what boost pressure is common with stock injectors? Since this is my daily driver I want to get the turbo shaken out but was also thinking of going to Stage II single shots or Single shot AC's

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I'll just say I love my Turbonetics BB turbo... Feel free to PM me if you want anymore info...

·
Braaaaaaaaaaaap
270 Posts
I haven't tried the TN BB but I am very happy with my 38R. I think it may be the best drop in hands down.
I haven't tried the 38R but I am very happy with my TN BB. I think it may be the best drop in hands down.

:poke: :grouphug: :flipa:

I've pulled 30lbs boost on a 0-100 run, stock injectors, dp 120, with my current mods except the built trans. The 1.0 exhaust housing changed the exhaust tone and it sounds SWEET btw. I mostly tow with my truck and the turbo seems to be working good for me. Unloaded lag is a non-issue... except when my throttle position sensor decides to not work properly :mad:

I run the dp 60 tune 99% of the time and everything (truck/camper/trailer/rockcrawler/crap/people) scales around 20k lbs. Pulling the big hills (8%+) egts are pretty much 1150-1200* the entire way, 2500-2800 rpm, o/d locked out, IIRC that's about 60-65... I'm not really sure, I basically just pull hills at 1200* and just let the truck work. No problems with the TN 1/2 BB :poke: since I was upgraded to it... it was a rough road before that. But everythings been good since installing the BB last september. I have never noticed any surge with it and I've done stuff like run dp 120 all the way up Ice House Rd to Loon Lake (7,000') while towing just to see :hehe:

·
Banned
1,822 Posts
here we go again if we dont have a BO thread its a turbo BB thread where the nut swingers of each of the teams go at it.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Braaaaaaaaaaaap
270 Posts
here we go again if we dont have a BO thread its a turbo BB thread where the nut swingers of each of the teams go at it.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
chill dude, the guy is asking for info. It's posts like yours that bring NOTHING to the thread that fuel the fires :poke:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was good, and what I expected. But it has not gotten out of hand. There is always info in between the b&*^%tchn and complaining. I just want a turbo that doesn't leak and runs good. I don't race and I am not looking to hammer my engine.

·
Banned
1,822 Posts
chill dude, the guy is asking for info. It's posts like yours that bring NOTHING to the thread that fuel the fires :poke:
i do believe i started a thread assking about the new garrett and noone wants to say a word about anything and then all hell broke loss. anyway for the OP you cant lose with either turbo at all both are proven by now but yes the garrett's at least the old ones have been around longer

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you cant lose with either turbo at all both are proven by now but yes the garrett's at the olds have been around longer
That is very true. The only way to know for sure is to drop one of 'em in and see for yourself. I will leave it up to BWD and DI / ITP. Whoever wants to come over and install it, I will buy that one.

But really, thanks to all who have real life experience and info. I appreciate all the info and feedback.

Pat

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
I would suggest going with either one. For me it was what site sponser is going to stand behind what they sale.

As far as performance goes, I don't have any dyno numbers yet. However, I can tell you on Jody's 140 aggressive tune it will hit 40psi of boost with the EGT's barely hitting 1200F.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
well pretty much what they said..if i was getting a tn i would talk to bwd,
if i was getting a garret di would be a good place to go.

you can also check with airflow, dieselsite, itp, beans etc
..just incase anyone has a good turbo deal going.
the garrets have been possibly redesigned, in the very least,
they were back ordered for a while.

there is also a pdr turbo that has been making some news lately.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts