Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When engine off I have 12.5v when started I have 12v!? and it slowly climbs to 14.2 after 3 minutes of idling or running at 1500rpm Are the glow plugs pulling that much out of those batteries? is it time for a new alt and or batteries? Thanks for your inputs Tom

·
original "REZNECK"
630 Posts
disconnect and load test your batteries one by one. then check alt to see if it is your culprit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could I load test them with a vom? Or do I need a amp shunt tester to accomplish the load test? What's the correct way to test this alt.? Thanks

·
original "REZNECK"
630 Posts
easiest way if you dont have a load tester is just take it to the parts store they will do it for free. just be careful they might try to sell you new stuff just cause. you can check the alt yourself with a multimeter. dont remember which wire it is let me go look.

·
original "REZNECK"
630 Posts
my 01 has a plug and then the big batt wire on the back i just tested mine and my alt was at 14.5 and my batts were at 12.8

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yes, the glow plugs pull some juice when started. If your load tested okay, just leave it at the glow plugs pulling juice.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Okay, I just re-read the first post, and missed the slowly goes back up to 14V.

2000SD, I second doing the load test the batteries one by one, and check the alternator output as explained earlier.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
The glow plugs can remain on for 120 seconds. Not related to the light being on. Sounds pretty normal to me are you having starting issues????

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
See, thats what I thought until I read it seems he is using a voltmeter to monitor it. When the GP kick off, it doesn't slowly rise from 12 to 14, it will kick up from 12, to something like 13.6 or some thing around that number then slowly rise from there.

Not really noticeable from the dummy gauge, but with a meter it is. I am using a scangauge to watch it, and it always has done that for me. Thats why if it is slowly raising from 12 all the way to 14, I would start checking things before the winter months. Just a precaution and load testing and checking alt output is usually free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts