1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like anyone I hate making mistakes. But I will be the first to admit
a mistake when I make one. Ive run optima batteries for years and still have
them in a bunch of my vehicles. But they do NOT like diesels. At least long
term usage wise. Well at least the new Optima batteries sold today dont.

Over the past few months Ive been rotating out Optima's trying to keep my truck going. Even switching out new Optima's in place of the current ones and trying even older ones from other vehicles. The older the battery the better they did.

So I guess the rumors about the quality of Optima batteries going in the toilet
is true after all. At least from my test. So that left me with a problem. I refused to go back to a normal wet type battery. The lack of battery acid chia pets growing on the battery post by using the Optima's has spoiled me to much. So what to do?

Well after doing a ton of research I came to the same conclusion tank did that
the best battery on the market were the ones XS Power made. So I ordered 2 D6500's and the terminals for them. They arrived today and I got them installed. They sure are huge compared to the optima's.

Its hard parting with something youve used reliably for years but I cant continue buying Optima batteries if they cant crank my vehicles reliably anymore.

Heres the how they arrived :

Handy carrying handle built in.

This shows the battery post installed and what the allen wrench I used to do it.

The XS Power battery installed on the passenger side.

I didnt shoot a pic of the drivers side battery because Im not happy with the mount just yet. The battery doesnt fit the battery tray that came with my S&B intake.
So Ive got to figure something out on that part and will add a pic when I get
it the way I like.

Heres testing the Optima bluetop batteries after they had sat over night.

Optima Test

Heres the same test after the truck had sat for 3 days and I had just installed
the XS Power batteries.

XS Power Battery Test

Well the XS Power batteries spun the crap out of the motor compared to the Optima's and the voltage drop off isnt as bad either. I know it looks like the Optima's need charging but in all honesty its the XS Power batteries that havent been charged yet other than what charge they had from the factory. I had charged the Optima's the night before the test vid was made of them.

Im going to add to this as I drive the truck some over the next few days. For one thing I want to get the truck fully warmed up. The Optima's didnt crank over much faster with the motor warm than they were doing cold. I think the XS Power batteries will do even better once they are fully charged and the truck is warm. I know the traditional wet cell batteries did.

I had one set of Optima red tops that actually cranked the truck fairly well but they are 6 years old at least. Sad when new batteries are worse than 6 year old ones.

XS Power seems to have a winner on their hands. I know this isnt news to some but it sure opened my eyes to what I will be running from now on. If I can get the 10 1/2 year lifespan out of them that I was told they usually run they will actually cost far less in the long run than a conventional battery would.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing I noticed looking at the vids I made it looks like my alternator isnt working that great but I stopped each video before it made it up to 14.2 to 14.4 volts. Glow plugs put a nice pull on it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You may be on to something. Here in this extreem heat in Az. It doesn't seem to matter. I've tried several and about 3 yrs is it whether it's a $200 batt or a $79 batt. This heat just kills them. So I usually buy ones that have a 3 yr free replacement. I know that the best deep cycle for my towhauler has been the Maxx brand from Walmart. Mine are almost 6 yrs old and have been in this trailer for over 3 yrs without charging them. My neighbor put some cranking ones, same brand in his Dmax and has had excellent service with them. As far as the green junk growing on them, I use Permatex cleaner & protector on the terminals and don't have a problem. I may try some of those you have in the truck. It's getting about time to replace. May I ask what they cost?? Also did the terminals come with them or were they extra?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
So as hard as it was to admit you were wrong, I bet it was even harder to admit Tank was right. Come on, admit it.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may be on to something. Here in this extreem heat in Az. It doesn't seem to matter. I've tried several and about 3 yrs is it whether it's a $200 batt or a $79 batt. This heat just kills them. So I usually buy ones that have a 3 yr free replacement. I know that the best deep cycle for my towhauler has been the Maxx brand from Walmart. Mine are almost 6 yrs old and have been in this trailer for over 3 yrs without charging them. My neighbor put some cranking ones, same brand in his Dmax and has had excellent service with them. As far as the green junk growing on them, I use Permatex cleaner & protector on the terminals and don't have a problem. I may try some of those you have in the truck. It's getting about time to replace. May I ask what they cost?? Also did the terminals come with them or were they extra?
$289 each and the terminals are $9.95 I think. Thats a bunch of money I know but if they last 10 1/2 years and they do have a 3 year full replacement warranty (not prorated like other batteries) I should come out a good bit cheaper in the long run.

The Optimas are $231 depending on where you get them. I had a discount so I go the optimas for $189 but even if they were free it wouldnt of helped if they wont crank the truck reliably :D

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So as hard as it was to admit you were wrong, I bet it was even harder to admit Tank was right. Come on, admit it.
True :doh:

The truck cranking does ease the pain though ;)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I just hate to spend that much cause the heat here seems to kill everything

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
The $180 Die hards are just as good as those $280 batteries.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant recommend them for your enviroment since it doesnt get near that hot here Id imagine plus I havent had these long enough to know how they will do long term too.

So far its staying 95 degrees minimum here and pushing 100. They are warning people now that with the heat index its 110 or something.

Today was the first time Ive really used the truck since the install and they did great. I cranked the truck this morning without turning the glow plugs on (mines on a switch that overrides them if I dont want them on) and its cranked instantly. Optimas fresh off the charger wouldnt do that. The Optimas would crank it sometimes but it took a good long time cranking to crank it without the glow plugs at 60 degrees. With the XS's it started like it had already been run for awhile. Instant.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The $180 Die hards are just as good as those $280 batteries.
Glad you mentioned those because a friend just got a set and were going to do a test to see just how good they are. Ive got a set of 12volt heavy duty shop/flood lights were going to run off one of my new xs batteries for 1 hour and then check the volts. Then were going to do the same with his agm diehard battery and one of the new optimas Ive got and then one of the older optimas Ive got. Should make a good comparison test.

Ive got enough lights so we can test 3 batteries at a time with the lights Ive got.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I had 2 Optima batteries in my 7.3

They didn't last HALF the time the stock batteries did. I now have 2 Autozone batteries in the truck now. They are 4 years old now and work perfectly. I just had them load tested on and off the truck and they are still fine. My truck can sit for months without being fired up, and never have had an issue starting.

I will never buy another Optima again. I will be looking at XS in the future for other projects.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I had 2 Optima batteries in my 7.3

They didn't last HALF the time the stock batteries did. I now have 2 Autozone batteries in the truck now. They are 4 years old now and work perfectly. I just had them load tested on and off the truck and they are still fine. My truck can sit for months without being fired up, and never have had an issue starting.

I will never buy another Optima again. I will be looking at XS in the future for other projects.
Same thing with my cheapo Walmart batts. The thing most people do not realize, is there are not that many places making batteries. Just put a different color/appearing shell on the battery, throw a different label on it. Instant new brand.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I bought some Interstate MTP-65's last winter. Got them for 100 each brand new. Seem to be good batteries, and have no problems cranking the beast over sitting outside in the MN winter.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Same thing with my cheapo Walmart batts. The thing most people do not realize, is there are not that many places making batteries. Just put a different color/appearing shell on the battery, throw a different label on it. Instant new brand.

Johnson Controls makes batteries for 10-15 different companies...

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Exide does a lot also.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats one of the reasons I went with XS Power for these since they are not in the same production deal like mentioned. Their batteries use pure lead not recycled.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So do the Diehards. Who makes those XS batteries?
Question was asked by some on a few sites but a company wasnt listed in any of the responses. As long as they keep working this good Im happy :D

Sears lost my biz a long time ago after spending a fortune on their top of the line diehards over and over and getting left stranded. But from what Ive read lots of people have had good luck with them. Just not me :doh:

Check out one of XS Power's small batteries aka the 4wheeler or lawnmower size cranking a diesel.

Not too shabby Id say. But Im not trying to be a fan boy. If they start sucking or dont hold up vs anything I put them up against I'll post it here first.

Ive posted a ton on here defending Optima's when people were having issues with the newer ones. Guess I finally got into a batch of these newer ones people had been fussing about because my newest ones SUCK. So did the other replacement Optima's napa got for me.

Again so far Im really liking the XS Power ones I have now.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts