Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it damage anything if I run two different sized batteries in the truck, like one with 900 CCA and one with 600 CCA?
Also looking at Optima's, should I be looking at the red tops or the yellow tops? Any idea's on who has the best pricing? Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
You should run batteries of the same size.

If you do it, make sure the larger one is on the starter side (ie: passenger side). If the smaller one is over there then you will fry it quickly.

Oh and don't expect either battery to last as long cause of the mis-match in draw and charge.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Does it damage anything if I run two different sized batteries in the truck, like one with 900 CCA and one with 600 CCA?
Also looking at Optima's, should I be looking at the red tops or the yellow tops? Any idea's on who has the best pricing? Thanks
Won't matter to the truck how may combined amps are available. But when you replace one battery you should replace them both. Why you would buy two different batts?? Unless you already have a new one sitting around.

Lots of guys run the yellow tops.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just trying to make some extra room on the driver side. Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
You will be replacing batteries often. Go with one big one, or remote mount 2 of the same size

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Ive never had two batteries in my truck yet that were the same :D

So no it doesnt seem to matter. Same with my tractors.

As for the optima's you want the blue top ones failing that then the yellow top ones and last choice is the red's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shouldn't matter. My guess...The cranking amps (and other battery specs) are what the battery can supply. It's a chemical reaction. And I don't think anyone can ruin the chemical reaction by asking the battery for more amps than it can react to create.

Worse case scenario is the small battery will discharge quicker than the other battery. You will then have an issue where you need to charge the smaller battery longer, but the larger battery for less time. This may cause the larger battery to be overcharged, and may reducing it's life or boil out some water. What I don't know is how much overcharging a battery can take. It might not be a big deal. And it is possible a simple stock alternator is always overcharging the batteries anyways.

Jake

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Yellow top.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I would do a little research on the interweb about the Optimas quality issues. A buddy of mine just had a problem with his. His brother had an optima going for 6 years, so he bought one, its dead 8 months after install. I installed Diehard Platinums which are made by Oddessy battery, started my truck on one battery easily today!

·
original "REZNECK"
630 Posts
there was a thread a while back about yellow versus red if you search optima red vs yellow there is a bunch of threads with many diff. aspects to look at

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Blue's are optima's best all around battery but also the most expensive. Its classified as a marine battery. Think yellow top but with a better cranking profile.

Yellow top's are designed for trolling motors and other long current draw with deep discharge needs aka running them down all the way and still recharging back up to full without damage. They make good diesel batteries when you dont want to spend the extra money for the blue tops. Blue top is still the better battery.

Red top's are general purpose cranking batteries for light duty and cars.

Ive run redtops for a long time now in several of my vehicles. Would have more but they cost to much to switch out as much as I'd like to. I pick up about 1 a year. Ive had one fail about 3years ago that I bought 12 years ago best I remember.

My truck right now has a red top and a blue top in it. I will be replacing the redtop with a blue top as money permits. I tried cranking the truck with the single red top and then the single blue top. The blue top out did the red top quite noticeably. The bluetop is rated just a little higher than the red top cca wise but not by much. But it definetly has more reserve to it than the red top has.

When I had my gmc gasser pickup the red top in it was able to crank the truck for an hour with minor breaks to cool the starter when I was having electrical problems on it.

The red top will not do anything remotely like that on my diesel truck. I ran with only one red top for a few weeks when my other regular battery failed. The red top cranked the truck fine with the glow plugs bypassed. But it dragged pretty bad with the glow plug relay coming on. I tried the same thing with the blue top as a test and the glow plugs really didnt seem to phase the bluetop near as much as it did the red top.

Thats about all the info I can give from real life experience.

I do recommend going with some form of gel cell non venting battery as its so nice not having battery acid build up on terminals and such. Be it an optima or another type of gel cell.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I do recommend going with some form of gel cell non venting battery as its so nice not having battery acid build up on terminals and such. Be it an optima or another type of gel cell.
You can solve the acid corrosion by using battery terminal spray and/or those corrosion protector washers.

I don't see any advantages to gel. They are not in an enclosed space, like a boat or RV. And you don't need to install the battery upside down, unless you think you might be upside down while 4xing.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
FWIW The Diehard Platinums are Gel type. They are pricey at $189 though. My 7.3 started on one battery at 45* yesterday. Nothing special, but it turned over FAST for one battery.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
You can solve the acid corrosion by using battery terminal spray and/or those corrosion protector washers.

I don't see any advantages to gel. They are not in an enclosed space, like a boat or RV. And you don't need to install the battery upside down, unless you think you might be upside down while 4xing.
The washers and other tricks dont protect the stuff around the battery. Also if you offroad a good bit it makes matter worse. The more you shake up a regular battery the more it vents fumes. Diesel engines shake them up enough as it is :D

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
FWIW The Diehard Platinums are Gel type. They are pricey at $189 though. My 7.3 started on one battery at 45* yesterday. Nothing special, but it turned over FAST for one battery.
The group 65 Die Hard Platinum is the exact same battery as an Odyssey group 65 except for the different color case. The best price I've seen on an Odyssey branded one is about $220. Sears is $189 and sometimes you can find a $10 coupon.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
i have seen a truck with two red tops on the passenger side.
looked like a slick setup.

but not sure if the reds, blues etc are the same size

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The group 65 Die Hard Platinum is the exact same battery as an Odyssey group 65 except for the different color case. The best price I've seen on an Odyssey branded one is about $220. Sears is $189 and sometimes you can find a $10 coupon.
how about $211 shipped for two of em?

its about time I found a benefit of working for them lol ;)

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
how about $211 shipped for two of em?

its about time I found a benefit of working for them lol ;)
You could get two of them for $152.50 if you would buy 5 of them and sell three of them to me for $375.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
I have had Red Tops in my truck for 4 years now with no issues.
I've had Motorcrafts in mine for 5 years with no issues. I also had the OE Motorcrafts for 5 years before that with no issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts