Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im slowly getting bugs worked out in truck. New CPS, mech fuel pump, injectors etc. It cranks slow. Even after tech installed injectors he said it cranks slow. Cables look good. Im trying to figure out a effective way to fix it without throwing money away, it always starts. Its only got 650 cca batteries in it. Is there anything wrong with buying 1 new 800+ cca battery and see if it helps? If it dont go to cables or starter? Batteries are pretty new but only 650 cca. What do you guys think?

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
One old battery will kill a new battery in a heartbeat.

If you can swing it, two new batteries will eliminate that problem.

I think the wallmart group 65's are ~$78 a piece?

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
One old battery will kill a new battery in a heartbeat.

If you can swing it, two new batteries will eliminate that problem.

I think the wallmart group 65's are ~$78 a piece?
with the core charge it was like $80 a piece when I bought 2 900cca batteries.

650 seems a little weak to me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just to clarify, i want to try one bigger cca and one of my 650s. will it tell me anything?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
just to clarify, i want to try one bigger cca and one of my 650s. will it tell me anything?
NO. It will just kill the new battery.

i believe the diesels are supposed to have 2 1200CCA batteries

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
It won't hurt anything to try. If both of your batteries are good it isn't going to make a lot of difference. If one of them is bad and you replace that one with a bigger battery it will make a lot of difference.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
1200cca ones are hard to find and pricey. but my walmarts have been working grea and have started the truck in 10* weather
I hate walmart batteries. They always dick you around w the warranty. ONLY DEKA OR NAPA(deka) for me

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
1200cca ones are hard to find
Nobody makes a 1200 CCA group 65 battery. The highest I've seen is 930. The Super Duty 7.3 trucks came with 750 CCA batteries. Most, and maybe all, of the earlier trucks came with 650 CCA batteries.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Heck what happens if you just throw a good set of jumper cables on it connected a a good battery. It if still is slow then cables or starter not likely battery.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heck what happens if you just throw a good set of jumper cables on it connected a a good battery. It if still is slow then cables or starter not likely battery.
Good idea. After truck is plugged it spins over great. So I was thinking 650cca batteries aint enough, would jumping it with another small battery do any good.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Just try jumping it with another car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just try jumping it with another car.
Yea, I didnt explain myself too well, I will try it, but with warm weather, the 5-40 Valv synthetic and new injectors its been firing off quick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts