Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery light keeps blinking when i am driving my truck down the road and i have just replaced both batterys what do you guys think it is

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
My alternator crapped out on me.... No warning from the battery light.

Replaced alternator with new one.... Now I have an intermittent battery light. Had Oreilly test the new alternator and batteries. Everything check out o.k.

Truck starts strong every time I hit the key. Im stumped. :mad:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Farm boy sounds like we are in the same boat, i replaced my alternator like two months ago and now it is flashing?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Although... I did notice on mine that the plastic clip where the plug locks onto the alternator was broken after I installed it. So the plug, plugs in, but doesn't 'lock' down. Obviously its charging cause i replaced the alternator a month ago, but still intermittent blinking.

Stupid electronics. :(

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
An intermittent fault could be caused by a few different things:

1) Loose wire (partially disconnected) -- this could be any wire coming from the alternator
2) Bad connector
3) Bad alternator -- when they get hot, they become less efficient and may not be providing sufficient charging. Much more common if you've bought a remanufactured alternator or a "cheap" one

·
Word
608 Posts
An intermittent fault could be caused by a few different things:

1) Loose wire (partially disconnected) -- this could be any wire coming from the alternator
2) Bad connector
3) Bad alternator -- when they get hot, they become less efficient and may not be providing sufficient charging. Much more common if you've bought a remanufactured alternator or a "cheap" one
I've seen this many times with aftermarket alternators. The regulator and internal coil windings are rebuilt by somebody they pay $1 hr....why do you think they have lifetime warranties on these things from Advance, Auto Zone, Pep Boys...etc...haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue

Have a new Leece-Neville 230A alternator with a pair of new 880CCA Diehard batteries, both still test OK.

I'm 98% certain I have a bad, chafed, or loose wire, but no idea where to start looking. I have checked all ground locations as per document from the Leece-Neville sales but it's still blinking.

What do the two small wires coming from the alternator do? When I unplug this, the blinking light stops.

I've been driving the truck, with the blinking light, for about six months, so it appears to be charging. This is driving me nuts!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts