Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 F-250 Heavy Duty with a 7.3. I am getting the picture of a battery in the instrument panel sometimes. I was thinking it may be the alternator but noticed that it comes on when i let off the throttle, no matter what speed the engine is turning. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
What's the voltage gauge doing at the same time? Cheers!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Not uncommon for the square plastic wiring harness plug in top of alternator to wear the blade connector via vibration. Fix is to pull plug out and with needle nose pliers pinch the female connector slightly, re install.

Cheers,
j

·
College Student
214 Posts
My truck did the same as yours occasionally for about a year or more. The battery light would just come on randomly or when coasting. Thought it was the plug to the alternator, fiddled with it and it stopped for a while then came back. Finally it became more frequent and then just stayed on. The voltage meter would flicker every time.

Turns out that the wire that funs from behind the battery box, then under the batter and coolant container to the alternator had rubbed on the hard bend and eventually shorted it self. Soldered the wires back together and it has worked since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts