Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the best place to get oem/aftermarket battery cables is (besides the stealership)? The guy who had my 05 before me has the positive connections all messed up. Winters coming and well you know:blah:

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
Should I be concerned about balancing voltages?
I know this may sound a little strange, but, I'm considering doing some of the cables first without doing them all. I'm wondering whether there might be an issue with voltage drop that might affect the truck electronics. In an ideal world there's no voltage drop across a cable, but this is the real world and there will always be some drop.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant seem to find anything online... custombatterycables.com makes some decent looking stuff for 7.3s obs and sd but nothing in the 6-leaker dept.

Im just going to go to the local trucks supply shop and have them duplicate my factory stuff with all new cables and connectors

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
we used to make our own with welding lead cable, crimp the ends FIRST, then heat the new end with a torch, and run it full ( stick it in the vise, open end up) of rosin core solder..... they worked bettern anydamnthing you could buy.....

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Same here, make your own.

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
I rebuilt the most important part of the positive cable, which is the section that goes between the batteries. My theory is if this section is very high gauge, it will eliminate the tendency for these trucks to lose the passenger side battery before the driver side. This is what happened to me. My driver side battery lasted only 4 and a half years. I'm hoping that putting the large gauge cable between the batteries will make both of them last the same amount of time.
I bought 2_0 guage multi-strand wire from NAPA and soldered this in place of the old segment of wire. I think the old wire was only 10 gauge or maybe 8. The 2_0 gauge wire has about twice as much cross sectional area. It's a monster.

Someone said above to replace the ground cable also.
I agree with this and will do these cables next. I think there are 3 of them; one from the engine to the frame and then one from each of the batteries to the frame.

This may backfire on me, but, we'll see. The larger cables may actually create a larger strain on both batteries....who knows?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts