Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started a few weeks ago. Thought my wife left something on at first bit now it's consistently doing it. Both batteries 2 years old I can let truck sit for a day or 2 and voltage drops to about 11.4 volts on the batteries. Won't crank truck. Charge them up. Start truck and drive it and alls good until it sits for a day or 2 again. Took it by oriellys today and pass battery showed 94% charged and drivers showed 61% charged. Seems like they would charge equally since they are in series??? any ideas? Thanks

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I had a NAPA alternator charging but not charging enough according to NAPA and I had the same symptoms as you. Replaced alternator and all was well. You may want to get it checked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had the ####ty starter in mine and it killed TWO ford batts 875 cca within a year, i then found i can put the gear reduction starter in my truck and it starts at least 5 times better at this point, had the batts warrantied from ford and now its 25 at night i left for 5 days for holiday and started great!
start with the starter, will make batteries seem bad because it draws SO SO MUCH to turn the motor

·
Registered
86 Posts
i second the starter, but its not that it takes so much to start in my case some reason when it was going out it will stay on drawing power to it all the time. mine slowly got worse. started off just in the morning batteries where low and by a week or two later i had to jump it everytime i got in the dang thing. threw a starter on it and i could tell it was a 7.3 it started so well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took both my batteries off this weekend and charged them both on the bench with 2 different chargers. Both fully charged showing 12.8v. After 24 hrs of sitting on bench one was at 12.4 and one at 12.3. Took them to oreilys and they load tested them and said they were both good but needed charging. One showed 51% charged and the other 63% charged. Told them they just came off the bench. Fully charged on 2 different chargers and they told me batteries are good my chargers must be bad. I build pwc for a living and have 2 new smart chargers so I knew that was bs. Left them with them to charge and went back 3 hours later and they took no more charge than when I left them. Lucky they were 84 month batteries and 3 year free replacement so I left with 2 new batteries. This has had me stumped because I had chipmunks( yes chipmunks) chew the harness to the bed completly in half a month ago and had to rewire the back half of the truck. Now I'm putting a blower motor in wifes infinity because somehow they got by the cabin filters and loaded the squirrel cage with acorns and it locked up blower motor burning it and resistor up. Gotta love livin in the country. Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.