Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased (Aug 2017) my first diesel truck which is Ursula. A 1999 7.3, lariat, crew cab, 4x4, automatic, short bed with currently 186mi. The place I got the truck from were not very up to date with what the truck had modification wise. I actually have enjoyed finding out about my truck slowly but surely since purchase. It's like getting to know that new girl you're talking to. Haha.

Anyways...I'm needing input on the Banks mods on my truck specifically. It has the E-brake, transcontroller, and the single tune chip with unknown tune. I think I'm missing something but let's get to my question.

I want to swap my banks chip for a ts 6 position. What issues if any will I have? Any feedback in general?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Should not have any issues switching chips, just remember to unplug both batteries while doing it.

Skip the TS and get a Hydra. Never any down time when loading new tunes with Hydra. Search about it. Plenty of info.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
I buy used Banks chips for $25 each. If you want to sell yours, send me a PM.

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
My vote is the hydra too. If you keep the trans command you might need valve body tunes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the Input fellows. I have done my research and would agree hydra is the way to go. I have an opportunity to get a ts 6 for $100 locally and figured...why not till I can afford the Hydra? So my only concern is the different codes our trucks have for the computers. What do I need to do if the chip isn't coded to my truck? If so, cost?

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
What code is the chip burned for and what is your code? If they are not the same or compatible. It's $150 for a reburn. So $250. For another $75 you can have the hydra.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PHP:
What code is the chip burned for and what is your code? If they are not the same or compatible. It's $150 for a reburn. So $250. For another $75 you can have the hydra.
Yes. My pcm code doesn't match the one the chip is burned to. However, I found a couple options on reburns. Hoped I can get your guys opinion.

https://www.advancediesel.net/TS-PERFORMANCE-6-Position-Chip-REBURN-Order-REBURN.htm
TS Performance 6 Position Chip w/ Tunes
I'm just looking for a reburn to my pcm, not custom tunes. I don't have much done that would warrant the custom tunes I believe. List of current relevant mods:
-Banks exhaust brake
-Banks Monster Exhaust
-Banks Transbrake
-Banks Bighoss chip (Unknown Tune)
-Riffraff Diesel 6637 Intake Filter Kit
-Riffraff Diesel AIH Delete Plug
-Boost Fooler
-6.0 Blue Spring Mod

Whoever had the truck before me might have done something in the transmission but I have no way of knowing until I have to get into it down the road. I say that because the Transmission seems to shift rather smooth. But I have nothing to compare it to being this is the only auto 7.3 I've ever drove/ride in. Another reason is of all the towing modifications that were installed by the previous owner. He clearly wanted to travel long distances with heavy loads. I removed the 55Gal aux. fuel tank that he had in the bed. Plus under the truck is some monster sized steel fuel tank that holds 55 Gal by itself. The only gauge was a trans temp.

Anyways I didn't want to drop a lot on this chip because it's not going to stay. If however, it's suggested to go for the custom tunes regardless of my lack of performance mods, I might do the custom tune. Ultimately I don't know how long it will be before I'm ready to pull the TS out. Ideally Id like to gather most of the mods I want to do, including the hydra, and install it all in one shot. Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen that way :frown:

Thanks again guys

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
I’ve never heard of advanced. Most likely just generic ts tunes. They are most likely junk, most people have weird shifts and high egts. For $150 just to use it for a year or so and toss it, seams like a waste to me. With the hydra it comes with a whole library of tunes you can run. They are what I call semi custom, they are wrote for your specific pcm. Plus with the banks trans command, I don’t know how the tunes will react.

So what is the chip burned for and what code is your truck. Some pcm codes can work with other tuning.

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
I believe if you call banks you can get a delete plug to remove the trans command.

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
When you get tunes on a ts chip. It will most likely have trans tunes with it. Then adding the trans command will make the shifts way to firm. Like jerk you back in the seat. That’s why I suggested the hydra with valve body tunes if you where going to keep the trans command. Which I wouldn’t.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured that was the reason but wanted to make sure. I fixed the exhaust brake today actually. Since I bought the truck I felt something wasn't working properly but having no experience with anything close to a J brake I assumed it was something I wasn't doing properly or a wiring issue. Turned out it was wiring. One of the million taps Banks requires you to make in your factory harness had wiggled out of the but splice. It worked amazing for a 2 mile test drive. Then when I parked and shut off the truck I noticed the air compressor attached to the E-brake was still running. 5 min later still running. So I pulled the fuse till I can figure out why and what's going on

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got my TS chip installed....something has got to be wrong and here is why I say that.

1)MPG: I've done multiple tests of avg mpg using the economy tune. I do my best to drive "conservatively" while performing test. Best average I've had so far is 14.4mpg. I get this by calculating the miles and fuel consumed, not by overhead readout, which said 17.7 for that particular test.

2)Position 6 (insane tune [150+hp]) overall behavior: I'm not referring to the transmission shifting hard or my personal opinion on how this tune should perform. I'm referring to the overall behavior the truck exhibits while in this tune. Specifically its shifting while wot, especially from 2nd >3rd, 3rd>od, or downshifting between those gears. It's very hesitant and seems to jump up and down once then engages soon after. I have torquepro but I'm new to data logging. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Can't expect much from canned ts tunes.
What was your actual avg mpg before?
If you feel like there's an issue with the tuning, step one should be to contact the tuner.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't expect much from canned ts tunes.
What was your actual avg mpg before?
If you feel like there's an issue with the tuning, step one should be to contact the tuner.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
12-14mpg before tuner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
1)MPG: I've done multiple tests of avg mpg using the economy tune. I do my best to drive "conservatively" while performing test. Best average I've had so far is 14.4mpg. I get this by calculating the miles and fuel consumed, not by overhead readout, which said 17.7 for that particular test.
I'm not sure what you were getting before but that's about what I get overall.

2)Position 6 (insane tune [150+hp]) overall behavior: I'm not referring to the transmission shifting hard or my personal opinion on how this tune should perform. I'm referring to the overall behavior the truck exhibits while in this tune. Specifically its shifting while wot, especially from 2nd >3rd, 3rd>od, or downshifting between those gears. It's very hesitant and seems to jump up and down once then engages soon after. I have torquepro but I'm new to data logging. Any ideas?
Every truck is different. All tuners have to have something to start with. The larger companies have canned "one size fits all" tunes but many of the smaller tuning venders offer updates and tweaks for some time after purchase to help "dial in" the tune to your truck so it operates and responds how you like it. This is where the Hydra is nice. You can get these files e-mailed to you and you download them onto your Hydra in your driveway.

Another this is that the 150+ Hp tune is nowhere near that. If you have stock injectors you're looking at far less (more like 30-50 Hp) as the stock injectors don't have much extra in them that the stock programming isn't taking advantage of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure what you were getting before but that's about what I get overall.

Every truck is different. All tuners have to have something to start with. The larger companies have canned "one size fits all" tunes but many of the smaller tuning venders offer updates and tweaks for some time after purchase to help "dial in" the tune to your truck so it operates and responds how you like it. This is where the Hydra is nice. You can get these files e-mailed to you and you download them onto your Hydra in your driveway.

Another this is that the 150+ Hp tune is nowhere near that. If you have stock injectors you're looking at far less (more like 30-50 Hp) as the stock injectors don't have much extra in them that the stock programming isn't taking advantage of.

Thanks for your reply Brian. OK I get it about not actually having 150 hp on the insane today but I ordered and paid for custom tunes based off of what my truck currently has on it. The other day I noticed some erratic behavior while coming home from work. Most the time I keep the truck on position five(75hp) since it seems to be the best overall out of all 6 tunes, especially for daily driving. Part of my commute home that day consisted of a few above average grade hill climbs. Anyone familiar with Laguna/hwy73 area in SoCal will know exactly the stretch I’m talking about. Anyways this wasn’t my first time on this particular road but it was the first time i used full throttle at the beginning of the hill, just to see how it would do. I had just the maybe 400lbs of tools/material I have in my truck at all times, “75hp tune” selected, all temps good, no problems with truck up to that time. Truck pulled up the hill like i expected, transmission held 2nd longer due to throttle demand. When the truck did however, decide to go to third gear, it acted like it was hitting the rev limiter and drastically And very slowly bounce rpms. Meanwhile it never shifted and I had to back off the throttle in fear of destruction. I tried the same thing today, same hill, same results. Flat road and balls to the wall on the throttle I’ve never had close to the same results. It’s always hesitated on 2nd>3rd under WOT. But this is scary. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Okay take a breather...

First off, you should have purchased the hydra. Can’t change that now. You would have enjoyed easy tune updates via email or use the ones they have online.

Tell the tuner what you told us and have them make adjustments since you paid for the custom tunes...

My recommendations to you now are to get a transmission cooler if you haven’t already done so, and purchase a custom accumulator valve body from BTS.DIESELSITE.JW.SamWyse. - any vendor will be fine. Both will make your Transmission last a hell lot longer and shift a lot better. A valve body requires retune to omit the “stock VB” for “modified vb”.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts