Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a shop install a Banks stinger plus system on my 2000 F-350 7.3 PSD. I got the truck back and it was a big difference. No check engine lights or problems. I got it back to the house and noticed they hadn't t-tap grounded the MAP wire like in the instructions. I went ahead and did so like in the instructions and it seemed to react and added tons of power but also triggered a check engine light. What purpose does grounding it serve? How do I get rid of the check engine? :confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also a little background since I'm a noob. I've always tuned and worked on Audi's and other euro cars. It's always been a dream of mine to own a powerstroke and I ended up buying two. A 2000 7.3 PSD DRW Crew Cab Long Bed as well as a late 1999 7.3 PSD SRW Crew Cab Long Bed. I love these trucks and looking forward to getting them up in strong running shape.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Are you sure they say ground map wire, if you completly ground a map sensor i would suspect it goes to default table, not ideal. Find member 444d he seems to be banks Savy, and may have a few pointers.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I'll probably give them a call on Friday and see what they have to say. There were no check engine lights before grounding it so I'm 99% sure that's it. You think I should disconnect the t-tap until then?

·
Caption This
4,261 Posts
You'll notice the instructions say to use the black wire that is "supplied in the kit". That wire has a zener in it. Is that the wire you used or did you make your own wire?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To update the thread for anybody else curious, the problem was that I cut the wire too short and the zener is no longer on it. Ordering a new one from Banks shortly! Thanks for the help 444-4D!

·
Paul
160 Posts
That wire from Banks is just a MAP sensor fooler. It keeps the PCM from setting an overboost code and defueling the engine if boost exceedes 22 psi. It is hard on the Map sensor to boost much pst that so a safer way to do it is by installing a OCR (Overboost Code Regulator). This will protect the MAP sensor from excessive boost pressures.
Riffraff Diesel: OCR - Overboost Code Regulator

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
good to hear, let us know how it works out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.