Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out scouting hunting areas in the AZ mountain, minding my own business and having fun climbing a steep dirt road, when Bang. The tranfer case shift knob comes off and hits the roof (scaring the heck out of me). The truck starts rolling backwards and the rpms tack out.

Got the truck under control and down the hill to a flat spot. Tried getting the transfer case into 4hi or 2 hi and no luck pulled it back to 4lo and she went into gear and there she stayed. Ok, I thought now I can move at least. I am 30 miles from a paved road and 40 miles fro a cell signal.

That is a long way when your top speed is now 30mph. Ended up driving 83 miles in 4low before getting some help.

Once home I crawled under the truck and found a small hole in the front of the case( from a rock i guess). This drained the oil. With no oil I guess it got real hot and started melting things.

Opened the case up and what a mess. Its a total loss.

So now I go looking for a BW4407.

Vent over. :blah:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah walking would have really sucked. It is still a bit warm out here.

I found a re manufactured 4407 for 950 delivered, it should be here in a few days.

While doing the research I found that the front yoke on the 4407 is worth some money. So I might be able to recoop a bit.

We will see.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Probly a stupid question but what is a 4407?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4407 is the borg warner transfer case model number that went BANG. :eek:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Gotcha! I learn something new every day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPS delivered my reman. 4407 yesterday. Took about 1 hour to muscle it up in the truck.

What a difference. The old 4407 must have been going out since i got the truck last year.

If any one ever needs a good re manufactured transfer case, I have a great place to get them from.

Every one have a great weekend.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
That UPS driver musta been wondering what the eff was in that back-breaking heavy box!

So curious, before it went bang, how exactly did the old t-case behave differently, that you notice that much of a difference?

Did you have to pay a core charge?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts