Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
blowin coal
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ya my trucks been popping from the front end and i finally took it down to my buddys diesel shop and they said my driver side ball jopints were bad upper and lower and he quoted me a thousand to fix them ya some friend so is there anything i should no before i do them any special tools or anything special i should plan on changing while i have it all busted open

·
JDG's #1 Fan
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Too bad you weren't local as we could make a day out of it. The truck I just bought needs new balljoints.
I was looking at that kit, but wondering if I could just buy the greesable ball joints that napa sells.
I was also thinking of throwing an add on craigslist saying I've got $200 for somebody to change my balljoints out. NV is the highest unelmployed in the country so I figure there is somebody thats able and willing.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
did mine in a few hours but i also have alot of tools at my disposal since im a jd tech, hyd press and a toolbox full of tools

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
they really are not that hard to do. I just did a set last week took me about 3 hours to do both sides. You can borrow the tool from local parts store and get it done.

·
<< wasted fuel >>
1,566 Posts
that kit that smitty posted has the greasable joints i believe...

and like prviously stated not a hard job but time consuming...
have at least a 12pack of cold ones on hand, they come in handy...LOL

·
blowin coal
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everybody i appreciate the advice and helpful tips i f***ing love this site

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
gonna be doing mine soon on the 99, did them on my old 03 i just had a local shop press them in for like 20 bucks, like everyone else said its just time consuming.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just did mine and a buddy's, one thing that really helped is we cut the old ball joints out with a cutting torch and we had a shop press to press them back in. Not a bad job just have to be careful when useing the torch and if you get the Moog and have a 4X4 you will have to change the grease fittings that comes with the new ball joints as the ones that came with the joints will hit the U-joints. On my truck as my truck is a 4X4 I replaced my U-joints as well with greaseable ones, took most of 5 hours to do mine and about 4 hours to to the other truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts