Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thought some of you might find my UOA results comparing the Baldwin B7039 vs the Motorcraft FL-1995 interesting.

The most obvious difference was a reduction in insolubles (solid particles) from 0.3% with the Motorcraft to 0.2% running the Baldwin. According to Blackstone Labs, the value should be less than 0.6%. That means the Motorcraft does a fine job but the Baldwin does better.

Said another way, that 0.1% reduction in stuff floating around the motor in the oil means the Baldwin does a 33% better job of filtering solid particles than the Motorcraft does.

BTW, the time on oil is comparable: Between 3100-4500 on the Motorcraft and 4200 on the Baldwin.

Best,
Jim

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Good stuff thanks for sharing, they are pretty good filters. The MC is rated at 18 microns and the baldwin at 23 so I would expect the insolubles to be pretty close.

I wouldn't necessarily make the conclusion that the Baldwin is a 33% better filter just based on one UOA vs a trend of MCs, I am sure you trend both out then they would end up with pretty much the same number over time. Regardless, they are both good filters so you can't go wrong with either. Fleetguard, Baldwin, Donaldson...they all make great stuff.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Comparing my trucks analysis to your trucks is about as valuable as comparing a Baldwin filter to a Motorcraft based on the results of one analysis. But, I've had three analysis at 25,000 mile intervals with almost the same mileage on the oil at each test and using Motorcraft filters. All three of them showed .2 on the insolubles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts