Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my oil changed and couldn't get a motorcraft filter. I found a Baldwin B7039 that cross referenced the fl1995. The Baldwin is a bit smaller, but fit fine.

Is the Baldwin OK, or should I grab an fl1995 and swap it?

Thanks,

Sean

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I have run baldwin many times... I think thats whats on my wifes excursion right now...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I use Baldwin filters for fuel, but I just wanted to make sure that it was the same quality as the stocker for the oil;).

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I use Baldwins for my fuel and water sep, coolant, and would have no issues using them for my oil based on the perf of the others. But I do prefer to have the largest capacity filters I can use. It is possible it has the same capacity but depending how efficient the filtering media is it may not take up as much space. Then again it could jsut be slightly less capacity. I would have to look it up. I like that Baldwins seem to be at most truck stops etc so if in a bind they can be found. Also, their outer casing is thicker than most other filters, from what I can tell and have seen reported, which being exposed to road and other outside conditions means they will be less likely to be punctures and likely hold to higher pressures. I need to look into their oil filters. Not sure why I have not actually.:confused:

Now if they could only add all that extra HP like the Cummins labeled filters seem to do based on some reports.:doh: LOL

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
I ordered 6 from Nate at PTP back in 2000-2001 and had noticed the exact same thing. They are a bit smaller. Why I don not know. I compared the size of the Baldwin to the Motorcraft and the K&N Performance gold and the Baldwin was smaller in size. I would be interested to know why it is smaller and it flow and filtering compared to the other filters mentioned. I remember years ago a guy named Hammer 69 was into oil viscosity and oil filters and had mentioned something about some Fleetguard filters that had more capacity and fit the 7.3. The Stratapore comes to mind as one but don't have the part #. He mentioned several of them and they each had different filter media as in synthetic media. Price was in the $20 to upper $20 range. For $10 Motorcraft FL1995 works for me.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
IIRC it's Fleetguard LF3974

The one I have seen mentioned that has a larger capacity than any other is F9691 which is a Venturi combo filter and looks to hold about a extra quart over standard 7.3 filters its 11 3.4" long

I crossed that with Baldwin and it come back with B99-SS which is one from their severe service filter line and it looks to be even larger at 12 3/32 long and it actually a bit wider as well so I am not sure if it will fit but may as its a cross but that's never sure thing. The LF9691 is 4.735 largest OD the B99-ss is 5 3/8 But where the gasket is is what matters for sealing sol the only real way I woudl guess woudl be to try it.

The LF9691 apparently does work confirmed as people post they are running it as posted on thedieselstop.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the cross reference list that I got from TDG.

Oil:
Motorcraft FL-1995 (Ford part # F4TZ-6731-A)
Fleetguard LF-3630 (standard media)
Fleetguard LF-3974 (Stratapore)
Fleetguard LF-3374 (Stratapore--extended capacity)
Wix 51734
NAPA 1734
Baldwin B7039
AFE Proguard D2 44-LF004
K&N HP6001
Purolator Pure One PL44872
Purolator L44872
Fram ExtraGuard PH3786
Fram ToughGuard TG3786
Fram Wearever HD HPH3786FP
Carquest 85734
AC-Delco PF2174
Amsoil ASF99
Amsoil SDF99
Donaldson P550371
John Deere TY24772

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
The Bladwin B7039 seems to filter very well. The B7039 has:

1. a Nominal rating of 12 microns. 12 Microns is the smallest particle it will catch 50% of the time.

2. an Absolute Rating of 25 Microns. The smallest particle it will catch 98.7% of the time.

A human hair is about 60-70 microns.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Bladwin B7039 seems to filter very well. The B7039 has:

1. a Nominal rating of 12 microns. 12 Microns is the smallest particle it will catch 50% of the time.

2. an Absolute Rating of 25 Microns. The smallest particle it will catch 98.7% of the time.

A human hair is about 60-70 microns.
Any idea what the stock FL1995 specs are?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I prefer the Baldwin over the Ford. I switched a few years back and noticed slightly better oil pressure, so I have continued to run them.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts

·
got fuel?
2,581 Posts
I prefer the Baldwin over the Ford. I switched a few years back and noticed slightly better oil pressure, so I have continued to run them.
Baldwin over wix also? price compare of the 2?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Best filter I have found that works is Donaldson Endurance ELF7405 Dual flow. It adds a quart of oil capacity. Filters 99.98% @ 10 mic Cost about $31 Good choice if you want close to bypass level filtering without having to install the extra bypass.

·
Shortbus driver
223 Posts
I run the Baldwin filter. I get them for under $10 each when I buy by the case.

·
got fuel?
2,581 Posts
Cool, i'll call the local shop that sells and ask for a case price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts