Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy did something like that on his contour to get the lens off to paint the plastic inside. Do you guys think this is possible to do to my 05 headlights? They have been getting fog inside of them, and If im going to take them apart, I want to paint them inside black like the harley lights? Does anyone know if it well work?

Thanks.

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
Yes I believe that will work but the Harley light aren't just painted inside if you paint the reflectors good luck with seeing at night.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
it works, you just have to be very patient. put the oven on the lowest setting you have and keep the lights in there for 10 minutes at a time. painting them wont make much of a difference with light output either. ive done several crown vics without any problems

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
painting what part the lens or the reflective part of it and I know painting the lens effects the light output and I would bet painting the reflective part would also effect the light output.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to paint the chrome surround, not the lens or the reflector material that the bulb beams off of. Im hoping that after i get done, i can fix these headlight from fogging up(thats the main reason why i want to take them apart).

leak what kind of sealant should i use to glue it back together? My buddy used two different kinds and one leaked and he doesnt remember which one.:doh:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
you can get headlight sealent from the auto store, i know for sure advanced auto, never checkd anywhere else.

as far as light output, ive never had problems with black, and if your only painting the surround you wont notice a difference.

·
The Stig
1,614 Posts
i would drill a tiny hole somewhere where you can't see it to let it breathe and keep the headlight from fogging up. I've heard of others doing that.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Wow baking the headlights sounds scary to me. I wonder who came up with that. You learn something new everyday. Good luck. Post some pics when your done.
Mustang forums have had this going on for yrs. Stangs have had composites since 87 iirc! For some reason stangs seem to have jacked up headlights they get foggy/yellowed for no good reason

·
A Ghost these days.
1,017 Posts
Well It's been a while since I've seen a SD headlight assembly but they should be sealed with a 1 way vent IRRC. The vent may have failed or you could have a crack between the lens and the housing or a bad o-ring on your bulb. I'd start with the o-ring and let the lens air out on a very dry day or blow some dry compressed air (preferably some out of a can of dry duster). then check to see if you can see any cracks along the lens. The lenses are sonicaly welded to the housing @ the factory and that typically is a good bond unless they are dropped, bumped or other wise flexed is some way or another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts