Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, hoping I can get some advice from someone. I have a 04, 4 door, 4 wheel drive, automatic tranny, short box. I noticed a slight vibratiion a few months back that started at 55 mph and carried through 65 mph in a pull, didn't do it just driving along. Kind of ignored it for a while, seemed to be worse when the truck was cold, then got a bit worse as time went on. Took it to the Ford boys and had the diesel guy look at it, didn't have any suggestion. It has steadily gotten worse, last through about 70 now and vibrates hard in a pull in the hi gear, will quit when you drop a gear or back out of the pull. I put a new carrier bearing in, no slack in u joints. I do not know what to do, I believe something is going to blow up, just don't know when, I would like to figure it out before diaster strikes. Looking for any help I can get, open to all suggestions for things to look at. thanks in advance.

·
CEO & PRESIDENT, RHTFC
68 Posts
Okay,
I will try to guess here.

I use to own a Mercury grand marquis and that car was doing the EXACT same thing you described in this thread. After an extensive research for the problem I found that the transmission was the problem. I changed the transmission oil and filter and the problem disappeared. (the transmission fluid was burned (black colored) and the filter was clogged) What I'm try to say is, it will not hurt to check your transmission and replace the oil & filter if nessesary. I hope this help.

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
Sounds like a u joint, if you are sure they are good, I would put it on stands and very slowly bring it up to vibration speeds, should be more noticeable this way. You may have a front axle/driveshaft locking in as well, if so you may be able to check that by spinning them freehand, try with it running as well?

·
Registered
131 Posts
See if you can isolate it do engine rpm or speed. If it only happens begining at 55 mph no matter what gear it's in, should be powertrain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a bronco that did that. It wound up being the slip yolk was sticking. You might want to check the one @ the trans. When I cleaned and re greased mine all was well in the world again.. :p

·
Pearson's Diesel
473 Posts
I have had 2 to do this and it was a bad injector

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have same problem on my 03 6.0l, it will go away if I put tow haul on. I am finding out that it is a bad injestor. Not enough pressure to push fuel threw dirty injector in overdrive unless rpm is over 1900. Make sure to use 5w-40 synthetic and rev-x seems to be a bandaid until I can afford to do injectors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had that same problem #3 injector got unplugged when I was putting in the turbo. Plugged injector back in and no problems...I did get lots of black smoke while the injector was not operating when I got on it hard though, now no smoke at all.

·
Da broke trucker!
15 Posts
Does this seem to happen when the converter is locked in high and on the throttle. This seems to be a common tell tale for the begining of a failing injector. If the engine starts good and can be driven when warming up it would seem to me you may have a failing injector. And YES, rev-x may be able to help this situation. It is not a fix all, but it does have a very valid purpose in our 6.0s. It works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts