Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have a 2001 7.3 powerstroke excursion. it has around 153,000 mile. I had a oil leak on the top of the motor. I took it to a local diesel guy and he said it was the turbo pedestal leaking. He would like 885.00 to fix this. I'm pretty good with tools. My problem is time. any ideas... How much does a pedestal cost and what kind do i need.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
WTF?

He said the pedestal was leaking, did he say WHERE on the pedestal?

I hope he's not going to charge $885 to change out 4 o-rings. Or change out an entire pedestal because of 4 o-rings.

You can buy the o-rings, and swap them out yourself. It's not that hard to pull a turbo out. Here's the Ford part numbers for the o-rings: F4TZ-6N653-A and F4TZ-6N653-B. If you search around online, you can easily pick them up for under $10. For a newbie, it will probably take you 2 hours to swap. For someone who has removed their turbo a time or two... less than an hour.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
The oil leak on top is probably the EBPV actuator in the pedestal. If it is leaking it needs to be pulled and repaired with this kit. http://www.dieselorings.com/index.php?page=details&prod=46&cat=9&group=6

Or you can just replace the pedestal with a non EBPV pedestal shown here. http://www.dieselorings.com/index.php?page=details&prod=128&cat=9&group=6

And you will need to remove the exhaust housing on the turbo that has the EBPV butterfly and replace it with a non EBPV exhaust housing shown here. http://www.dieselorings.com/index.php?page=details&prod=129&cat=9&group=6
Either way it needs to be pulled and repaired when you are ready.
You will also need the four O-rings to remount the pedestal and turbo shown here. http://www.dieselorings.com/index.php?page=details&prod=25&cat=9&group=6

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He didn't say where. He just said it was leaking. He said $885.00 to fix it. i almost fell out of my seat... I just think thats alot of money... thanks for the info. I going to order the parts and do this myself.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
If the EBPV butterfly is not fully opening it could be a loss in power. The butterfly is in the turbo exhaust housing. The EBPV actuator is in the pedestal. That is a common area for oil leaks.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
He didn't say where. He just said it was leaking. He said $885.00 to fix it. i almost fell out of my seat... I just think thats alot of money... thanks for the info. I going to order the parts and do this myself.
Double check and find out where it's leaking.

The most common leak point is the o-rings that I gave you part numbers for. There are two between the pedestal and turbo, and two between the pedestal and engine block.

As Bushwakd pointed out, it can leak from the EBPV rod sticking out the side of the pedestal. Most of the time if it does weep oil, it's not enough to bother with. But sometimes it can leak quite a bit. That's a different repair (as he pointed out), but you'll probably still need the top and bottom o-rings anyway, since you'll have to take it all apart.

Verify where the leak is first, if you can. That will save a lot of guesswork.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, Thank you for your help.. I'm very new to diesel motors... but, love the 7.3 and i don't like to let my stuff just fall apart.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
it doesnt take too much mechanical knowledge to replace the o rings i just helped a buddy of mine put a high flow outlet in and non evbp ped and the hardest part is getting the up pipe clamp off just cuz its so hard to see what you are doing but let he said before since you said there are some higher mileage the o rings can get dried out and such from the thousands of times of being heated and cooled but 800 + dollars for that is nuts for a person that has worked on 7.3's this job shouldnt take more that two hours or so but let he said you need to find if it is coming from the rod coming out the ped. or if it is coming from the bottom of the ped where it meets the block this is located in the very back of the ped kinda hard to see

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been awhile since anyone has commented on this thread, but I am purchasing an '02 7.3 Ex that has a small leak in the turbo pedestal. The mechanic is proclaimed by the local ford dealership as the 7.3 expert and said that without pulling it apart he will not know how much it is going to be. He said at a minimum he is looking at 3hrs of labor getting it apart. Does this sound right?

·
Administrator
8,176 Posts
I would just buy a delete pedestal and high flow outlet and do it your self. It’s not too bad of a job. But 3 hours isn’t too bad and shouldn’t take any more than that if you just swap it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The most important and maybe trickiest part of the job is setting everything in place without pushing one of the pedestal orings out of place. Stick them in place with a bit of grease and set the turbo/pedistal down straight without sliding it around

1 - 15 of 15 Posts