Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and new owner of a 1997 f350 crew, my first diesel . I put 2500+ hundred miles on it bringing it home to northeast PA a month ago with out a problem. It set for a couple of weeks as I did not want to introduce it to our salty roads right off the bat.

I did start it and let it idle a couple times in that period though. Last week I decided to run it to work and park the V10. Monday morning I turned the key and got the click clack a couple of times before it started. It fired right up all week, until today. Got the click clack every time.

I am trying to convince myself it is not the starter. Tested both batteries and they were low. Put the charger on them for about 45 minutes each and did not retest.

More click clack, had the gf try starting it while I tapped on the starter with a hammer. One of the wires connected to the battery threw a nice spark when she turned the key, I would guess that it shouldn't do that.

What do you folks recommend as my next step, and if a new starter is needed which
one ,OEM or another brand.

Thanks in advance, the v10 is not as fun as ps.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
First things first check your starter solenoid on the passenger fender. Turn the key to the run position and using a multimeter or test light have someone turn the key to the start position and see if you get power on the starter side of the relay. If you do then you may have a bad starter or if you are lucky the wire might be loose connected to the starter and by your description of it sparking it may very well be just that. Where are you from as I am also in northeast PA?

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
:whs:, ya if your getting a spark at the battery terminal then you definetly have a bad connection at the battery.

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
:whs::whs::whs: also charge them batterys up and hook a volt meter up to the batteries... have the gf turn the key over and if it drops below 9 volts quick then its the starter... (if it takes a couple seconds then for sure you have battery issues as well) you can always clean up your connections but from what i found if your throwing a spark then u will hear an attempted start... feel the starter after trying it a couple times, if it about burns your hand or is very hot then u get to do a replace...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I messed up with my first post. The sparks were from a wire on the starter not the battery. I will check that connection, plus what you guys mentioned.

Sorry for the wrong information.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update. Tightened up the wire connections on the starter, turned the key and it fired right up.

Thanks for you help.

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
good to hear... most starter issues ive seen have precursors like it takes a jump to start it after shutting it off to go run in and get a pop or like what mine did was barely spin it over with brand new interstate batteries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts