Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Addicted Offroad
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to track down a leak. It appears to be coming from just under the lift pump. I was able to tighten down the three hose lines going to it, and its still leaking. So, it seems to be a bad o-ring on the pump itself where it goes into the manifold. I just can't see fuel coming from there. Maybe oil, but not fuel.

Is this a pretty common one? Also, is that a 1-1/4" Nut that is on the back of it? Any tricks to getting that without having to pull the turbo?

·
Addicted Offroad
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I pulled the fuel bowl and replaced all of the hoses going to it. I was able to get under there and clean out all the crap in the valley as well. But, its still leaking. I think I have pin pointed it to the front side of the lift pump. Is there a copper crush washer up there or is it some sort of weep hole?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Well is it oil or fuel?
Before you said it was OIL and NOT fuel. But you went and changed all the FUEL hoses.

SO which is it, oil or fuel?

·
Addicted Offroad
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well is it oil or fuel?
Before you said it was OIL and NOT fuel. But you went and changed all the FUEL hoses.

SO which is it, oil or fuel?
Sorry, it was confusing. Its definitely fuel.

I was referring to the fact that it couldn't leak fuel from a bad o-ring inside the manifold. It could leak oil from a bad o-ring on the plunger, but not fuel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There is a weep hole towards the front side of the pump. I have done both Federal and Cali Trucks(one with Pulsation Dampner) lift pumps without pulling the turbo it is possible but be patient and ready for sore hands !

·
Registered
433 Posts
i custom bent an old 1-1/4 wrench, i bent the box end in off Z pattern to lesson the chance of rounding off! this way you don't have to pull the turbo.

·
Registered
421 Posts
the only "o-rings" are the metal washers on the 32 mm Banjo bolt on the back of pump....

·
Addicted Offroad
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a weep hole towards the front side of the pump. I have done both Federal and Cali Trucks(one with Pulsation Dampner) lift pumps without pulling the turbo it is possible but be patient and ready for sore hands !
Well, looks like i will be doing a lift pump this week then. Are the Delphi pumps any good? Or, should I stick with Motorcraft only?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I bought mine from advance auto online for local pickup and used the promo code I found on the net, saved a ton of cash. If I were you I'd order the metal washers from dieselorings.com just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would stick with motorcraft had a delphi crap out on me after 6 months got a Ford one in my rig for two years and no issues. Be careful when you remove the pump from the valley as to not loose the tappet on the bottom of the lift pump down into the engine. I just wiggled mine very lightly until I could see what it was doing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
FYI - I bought an International pump, turns out it is a Carter. I believe that is what Motercraft is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts