Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just heard from a close friend that he just smoked his motor. warped heads and blown head gasket. he just bought a 2001 7.3 with 130,000 miles on it. aftermarket K&N and 4" stainless exhaust. he sent the programmer that came with truck, Edge Evlolution back to the factory for a reprogram. He drove about 200 miles with the chip on tow. he was pulling a small trailer that had midget dirt track cars in it. He said on the way home he couldnt pull over fast enough when the motor started getting hot and he said that was it. Took it in and got the news about the motor. This concerns me about the chip that im about to get through the mail. A tuned TW chip. should i be worried that this is gonna happen to mine? All i have on mine is the 6637 filter and 4" exhaust.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cary at CTperformance. hes the one i sent the money to anyway. hes a sponser on this site! Now should i worry?:(

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just dont wanna blow the dang thing up ya know? All i want is a little more horses to play with sometimes!

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
you have nothing to worry about. I have towed a skid steer a couple of times and a mini excavator and had no problems.

EDGE is junk in my eyes. lets see would you rather have programmer that is tailored to many trucks or a chip that is tuned to your pcm code and the mods that are done to your truck?

Tony knows what he is doing

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HaHa! Yea your right! I just hate hearing that sort of info right before i get the chip.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
i just heard from a close friend that he just smoked his motor. warped heads and blown head gasket. he just bought a 2001 7.3 with 130,000 miles on it. aftermarket K&N and 4" stainless exhaust. he sent the programmer that came with truck, Edge Evlolution back to the factory for a reprogram. He drove about 200 miles with the chip on tow. he was pulling a small trailer that had midget dirt track cars in it. He said on the way home he couldnt pull over fast enough when the motor started getting hot and he said that was it. Took it in and got the news about the motor. This concerns me about the chip that im about to get through the mail. A tuned TW chip. should i be worried that this is gonna happen to mine? All i have on mine is the 6637 filter and 4" exhaust.

Sounds to me like your buddy was running a programer with no gauges...

Gauges. PYRO at the least.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Sounds to me like your buddy was running a programer with no gauges...

Gauges. PYRO at the least.
yeah after re-reading that its dummies like that run around with a chip/programmer on the highest setting towing and not having any guages to keep an eye on what your engine is doing.

I dont mean your friend is a dummy but you get the idea lol

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He said he has all the guages but it was the engine guage that got hot real fast. the tranny was fine. IDK???

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
The only way to make that happen on a stockish truck is no or very low coolant, bad injector O rings dumping raw fuel, or someone not driving by the gauges...

Sounds to me as if your friend was towing, not watching the pyro and cooked his motor.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This may be a dumb question but doesnt the engine temp gauge do the same thing as the Pyro would? Or at the very least raise the needle close the the red?? I mean why would they have the engine gauge then? Just a question?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The pyro tells you the temp of the exhaust gases. The stock temp is for coolant.

Sounds to me the truck had a cooling issue before it even had the chip.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
This may be a dumb question but doesnt the engine temp gauge do the same thing as the Pyro would? Or at the very least raise the needle close the the red?? I mean why would they have the engine gauge then? Just a question?
The Engine temp gauge is a water temp gauge. On a Automatic truck it is nothing more then a idiot light, or a three pos switch, cold, normal and hot. It has NOTHING to do with Exhaust Gas Temps (EGT's) or anything to warn you of something bad.

None of the factory gauges are good for anything, oil pressure is a switch as well, water temp is a switch, volts is more or less a switch... Fuel gauge... if its not broken its ok... Speedo is good most of the time...:doh:

Ask your buddy if he had a Pyrometer, or EGT gauge. It would be an aftermarket gauge, autometer, isspro or likes... I am betting he did not, and just bought himself a motor because of it.

DO NOT run that chip, or any power adder without a pyro.

And I add this because you will anyway. RPM's are your friend, if you run the chip without a pyro, keep the rpm's UP, dont lug the truck. Down shift brings EGT's down, which you will see once you have gauges.

Which your going to get before running the chip.... riiiight???:poke:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You don't need a pyro! At least that is what my Grandpa said, just come off the floor a bit and you'll be ok... LOL But he also drives a Dodge!

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont know what you do when you lug the truck? Um and yes after hear this ####e im planning on gauges! They are just so, n dont take offense nybody, but a little gawdy.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
i dont know what you do when you lug the truck? Um and yes after hear this ####e im planning on gauges! They are just so, n dont take offense nybody, but a little gawdy.
Alot of different setups you can make with them. Most of us use the pillar but some guys put them almost under the dash.

Lol, ask joe for a pic, I think he may have 1 of 2 of them in a few different places:D

And to lug a truck, basically mash it to the floor without letting it downshift.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts

Lug, as in keep it in low rpm's when its pulling. Higher RPM's lower the EGT's when under load (to an extent... but thats another story)... So most people think when pulling its easier on the motor to "lug" it at 1800rpm's when in reality it would be better to shift out of OD and wrap her up to 2500rpm's...

Alot of different setups you can make with them. Most of us use the pillar but some guys put them almost under the dash.

Lol, ask joe for a pic, I think he may have 1 of 2 of them in a few different places:D

And to lug a truck, basically mash it to the floor without letting it downshift.
What gauges?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Something was wrong with his cooling..prob pump died, and he did not catch it.
These trucks have a lot of sand left in them from casting,, enought. Cover the bottom of a 5 gal bucket, all that sand kills water pumps, mine died at 110k. A good cure is a dieselsite coolant filter, an item I will be adding soon.

Btw the cooling is usually bullet proff on these trucks unless you add an elec fan,
High egts will melt pistons, so to me sounds like he had coolant failure of some sort.

About your chip have no fear tw is one of the best in the bizz, and cary is a 100% standup guy aswell...no worries.

But keep to the vendors that sponsor this site if you can they are all great ppl.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts