Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went on a road trip and hand calculated my mileage and it came out to 12 mpg and i was very easy on the pedal was on the interstate on the way down averaged 67-70 mph and took highway on the way back and averaged 60 mph. i knew i wasnt getting good mileage around town but i should be getting better than this. what are some things i should check? oh my boost was at about 5 at 70mph and about 3 at 60 and egt's were at 650 at 70 and 600 at 60mph give or take is that normal?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
EGT's and boost sound ok...
is this mileage hand calculated?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No 4x4 on the trip at all and no idling and i have my ebpv disconnected. the fuel filter has been changed in the last 7000 miles or so. and yes the mileage was hand calculated.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Do you have 3.55's or 4.10s? that would make a big difference at 70.

Idling uses very little fuel in these trucks. unless you were Idling for half an hour or something ridiculous, I wouldnt expect a difference.

If it's cold where you are, the EBPV can actually help mileage. it gets your truck to operating temp faster.

·
<----Simply the best.
3,594 Posts
It would be 3.73 not 3.55

Winter fuel should make a decrease in mpg with the additives added to them. Not sure if it should be that much.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It would be 3.73 not 3.55

Winter fuel should make a decrease in mpg with the additives added to them. Not sure if it should be that much.
I thought the SD's came with all three as an option... ???

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
If it's cold where you are, the EBPV can actually help mileage. it gets your truck to operating temp faster.
Never had a problem with the trucks warming up with the EBPV unplugged or gutted. To me driving with an exhaust brake (how I tend to describe the EBPV) on just don't seem like it's going to help out MPG at all.

I thought the SD's came with all three as an option... ???
Nope Superdutys never had 3.55s till the 08s. Also all the single rear wheel Superduty Diesels had 3.73 & dually's had the option of 3.73 or 4.10 gears.
Like wise OBS could have 3.55 or 4.10s.

·
1,097 Posts
12 MPG for a stick shift truck seems a bit low to me. The 35s and that draggy bumper aren't doing you any favors but a guy in Cincinnati I know has a 4x4 stick that couldn't be draggier if he popped a chute gets 20 all the time.

Check your brakes. The sintered metallic front pads on Ford trucks tend to rust on the edge and drag more than you think. Jack 'er up and see if the wheel spins free. You'll know within a second or two.

Get a pyrometer. It will help you drive like a miser. Keep the EGT to less than 600 pre. Keep RPM under 2000. Air up your tires to max sidewall pressure.

You should be getting 16-18. Something is wrong. Adjusting the nut behind the wheel is the cheapest thing you can do.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Never had a problem with the trucks warming up with the EBPV unplugged or gutted. To me driving with an exhaust brake (how I tend to describe the EBPV) on just don't seem like it's going to help out MPG at all.

Nope Superdutys never had 3.55s till the 08s. Also all the single rear wheel Superduty Diesels had 3.73 & dually's had the option of 3.73 or 4.10 gears.
Like wise OBS could have 3.55 or 4.10s.
I was told that you should warm it up long enough that you aren't driving with the EBPV on, but that having it on while it's warming helps.

ahh. I thought the SD's came with 3.55's as well, my mistake, thanks.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I was told that you should warm it up long enough that you aren't driving with the EBPV on, but that having it on while it's warming helps.
The thing is though even if the engine is fully warmed up it will still come on if it's cold out. Atleast it has on all the trucks I've been in around here it goes by outside temp more then engine temp just like high idle. Sitting at a light long enough or a steady cruise & it comes on, floor it & it will open up then after awhile it will come on again. That's why I believe in unplugging or just gutting them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have 3.73 gears srw and around 78,000 miles. i was thinking with my trans i should be around that 16-18 range on a trip too. the 33 inch tires shouldnt change the mileage much? i will jack the front end up in the shop today and check the brakes also i will make sure the corn burner and wood burner in the shop is full idle because it is -15* without the windchill -30* with the windchill.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
33's don't help. aggressive tread hurts worse.
If they're new, they'll cut you down for the first 3-5k miles, as tires have a break in period of sorts.
Did you recalibrate the Speedo? That will make a small difference.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Actually I've noticed the speedO reads spot on with 33s (tends to be 2mph fast with 31s) & they shouldn't affect it that much if he has 3.73 gears & a stick shift.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Speedo is a little fast, but ODO is dead on with 31's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i jacked up the front end and it looks like i do have a little drag on the front brakes. So should i replace the front pads then or do i need to adjust the front brakes?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i decided to change the pads out for new ones so i will see if that improves mileage

·
1,097 Posts
Changing is the best remedy. Those pads are hard enough you'll file yourself to a frazzle. Besides there may be rust you can't get at. When you install them make sure they are releasing OK.

Smart move!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts