Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 f250 7.3l, my Hpop lines blew and replaced them and icp sensor, filled the fuel bowl. Had to do the gas trick to get it to start it went about 2 miles fine then lost all power. Towed it home and took the icp sensor out to see if it would shoot oil out and it did replaced the ipr valve. Dead headed the pump it went from 500 psi to 3500. Put a scanner on it today rpms are normal so not the cps. My ipr is 14.9 which is wide open but my icp was 80 while cranking for awhile and it should be at least 500. So now thinking a busted o ring somewhere or an injector is leaking maybe the idm?

·
Registered
860 Posts
First off - welcome to PSN. Sounds like the HPOP is healthy... First you need to to determine why the ICP pressure is so low during cranking. Have you tried unplugging the ICP sensor and then starting the truck (this causes the PCM to default to a table lookup for pressure and is a way to determine if the ICP is the problem)? Is the ICP a Ford OEM unit? As the truck was running I really don't think it is the IDM. I would suspect the seals on the new oil lines first - do you have a puddle of oil in the valley? As you didn't mess with the injectors it seems less likely that they are the problem. During cranking the IPR should be commanded closed so you will see higher IPR command numbers while starting.

Cj

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! And yes unplugged the icp and still no start. And also tested the icp so it is good. And I'll check for sure when I get home.

·
Project Shamu
3,070 Posts
If the IPR is that far open while cranking, and you only have 80psi, you either have a bad IPR that won't close, or a bad ICP with an incorrect reading.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the IPR is that far open while cranking, and you only have 80psi, you either have a bad IPR that won't close, or a bad ICP with an incorrect reading.
I've unplugged the icp to see and it still only cranks.

·
Project Shamu
3,070 Posts
Anything can be bad out of the box, there are some diagnostics you can do to test the IPR, by putting voltage to one of the leads (I can't remember which one), it will completely close it so you can crank and read pressure for testing. Hopefully someone else can chime in for the actual procedure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are getting pressure but no smoke coming from the exhaust it may be the IDM, did you do a buzz test?

·
Registered
860 Posts
The IPR is just a 2 wire connection. According to the diagram I have, one side is hot with the PCM power (Red). The other side is pulled (connected) to ground via the PCM (diagram says yel/red for that wire). I personally don't like messing with connections that are tied to the PCM, and if this were my truck I'd go buy an IDM connector do do the testing with. With a connector I would hook one side up to + and the other up to - just before cranking the engine over.

Random thought... did the nut that holds the solenoid on the IPR get loose and fall off? If the solenoid moves at all on the IPR it will no longer be in position to control the pressure.
Another thought after rereading your first post - do you see the RPM gauge kick up when cranking the engine? I just looked at one of my data logs - it appears that the PCM waits for the cranking speed to come up before commanding the IPR to close.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Does the RPM gauge move when you try to start the truck? Can your display save data and transfer it to a usb? This is a sample from my own truck using FORScan and an OBDLink SX dongle, which I pulled into Excel. You can see the relation of the IPR, ICP and crank speed.
Jumbo Engine Start.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would recommend spending the $30 on the IPR block off tool from Riff Raff to test for loss of pressure past the IPR. Is it dying due to loss of oil pressure to the injectors??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry just read your original post. Yea you are definitely losing pressure somewhere. Have you ever replaced the injector o-rings? If you do a injector buzz test and they pass then your idm should be good.
I haven't checked them yet, trying to decide if I want to do them myself or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it was running fine before your line blew it's hard to believe an injector o-ring would go out also. Sure you don't have air in the system still?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts