Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2003 6.0 im having an injector problem I believe. but reading on some of these post people are getting alot of white smoke... My truck has no problem starting in the morning it fires right up sounds good the only thing i noticed is that at idle it shakes a little bit as if the motor mounts are bad. the trucks isnt an everyday driver i drive it maybe once a week if that, My dad came to my house and barrowed it he lives about 75 miles away from me. He called me this morning while he was driving it saying it was spulling black smoke everywhere.. he took it to a mechanic and the mechanic said its #3 injector. I just replaced the #3 injector about 4 months ago while i was on deployment and also replaced the FICM the same time. about a month ago i pulled my EGR valve out and cleaned it up... does anyone what it could b? your guys inputs would be greatly appreciated thanks so much..

·
Registered
868 Posts
You check FICM voltage? Fuel pressure? How did that mechanic test the injector?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havent checked the FICM votage nor the fuel pressure... ill make sure to check those.. whats the voltage im looking for on the FICM and how do i check the voltage? and fuel pressure too? what PSI should i be at and how do i check it? the mechanic didnt test the injector he just plugged the truck into his computer and #3 injector code popped. im not a diesel geru but i know my way around my truck so hopefully i can do some of this stuff myself.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Black smoke generally means the fuel is atomizing but there is not enough air there to clean it up. If it is not running rough or missing my guess is your turbo vanes are stuck and it is not building any boost. But if it is knocking pretty bad then you probably have a stuck open injector. You need to put someone behind the scanner who knows what they are doing on a 6.0.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
you could have simply got a bad injector. Will they warranty it??

You really need to purchace a ScanguageII, Auto Zone has them on the shelf and they go for$160.00. With that you can moniter everything your computer sees. It is the best money you can spend on your truck, you can leave it plugged in and moniter all the engines vitals, its a code reader as well. As far as your fuel pressure the only way to see that is by putting a guage on it.
What I would do is get on rifraff website and buy the blue spring for your fuel pressure it will get up to 60 psi and is what you need to keep the injectors happy. The spring is arond $35 bucks

Oil takes a beating in these engines 5K max on changes, oil is operating those injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deffinetly going to have to look into the scan guage 2.. and the guages i am already planning on buying.. is thier anything i can do to not have injector issues again i have already changed 1 injector and 1 FICM the pickup has 137,000 miles. And as for the turbo ill have to ride around and see if im getting normal boost or not.. thanks guys.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
The spring in the fuel filter housing was weaker than it should have been, international came out with a upgraded spring and it's called pressure regulator blue spring kit. Rifraff has them for $35.00. Low pressure will raise hell with the injectors,I myself do not have a fuel guage I just threw it in and it ran smoother after installed.

Use synthetic oil 5w/40 rotella or delo 400le 5w/40 and dont go more than 5k and ABSOLUTELY make sure you use only motorcraft filters and that you still have the factory oil cap on it. If you dont go to Ford and pick one up,the filters you can buy at walmart.

Make sure that your charging system is up on voltage and both batteries are good, leading cause of ficm,s going is low voltage. They have to step up the voltage to 48v to operate the injectors. The scanguage can moniter all ficm parameters you need to make sure its making the 48 volts.

Run the fuel additive dieselkleen grey bottle also pick up at walmart.

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
Will the scan gauge read ficm voltage and eveything else like the edge will? Tw edge looks alot better but the scan gauge is half the price so if it does the same ill go with the cheaper one

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
Yes it will read the ficm all 3 voltages, it will not read fuel pressure or exhaust temps but everything the computer deals with it will also display it. You need to input all the correct codes to tell it what you want to moniter, but you can input 24 differnt sensors/functions and it's a code reader and also will clear them too. Not the best code reader but the versitility of it's x-guages make up for it and it is very reasonable.

If you are having a problem with the engine you can narrow down thhe problem in a hurry with it. I have mine going all the time and switch around the functions occasionally to see what it's doing. Main thing I watch is oil cooler temps/trans temps and hpop ficm

Your right the Edge is a better looking setup but it does work well, I put my SGII left of steering wheel on dash area below headlight switch I'm only one that can see it. :)

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
Yea that sounds like a winner to me, half the price and does the same thing, I already have a pyro gauge so I'm good with that just no fuel pressure gauge, do u have to leave it plugged into the obd port all the time?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
No it does not have to be plugged in,it will hold memory on whatever you programmed into the x-guages and can be used on any car for reading codes. It's strong point is the x-guage part of it it is a so so code reader and it can clear the codes as well. Scanguage themselves put a good amount of time into it just for the 6.0 engine.

I like it because its small and don't want pillar guages or any other guages anywhere.
Its on the far left of steering wheel and I can glance at it when I want to see engine-oil temps trans temp ficm usually. You have 24 functions that can be programmed at a time. It sees everything the pcm does.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
Alright I went out and got one of these scan gauges but I'm having some trouble figureing out what some of these pids are? I don't even see EOT or ECT on here any ideas?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
here is some info if I can make it work

Attachments

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
You have to go into the x-guage part of it to program in the points you want. Its a bit of a pain to set up but that thing is awesome once you have it set up.

Look up their website or go to u-tube its really not hard but will take some time.

Here is a way to connect a 9v battery to it so you can program it on your couch with a beer.

Attachments

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
Lol that's awesome, yea I actually went thru all the trouble to enter all the codes on it, toke me a few but I got it, at least the ones I wanted, the water temp that was already preset is coolant temp right? I got EOT, ICP, ficm voltage thats really only ones I needed

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
Ficm logic power/ficm/eot/ect/inj pressure/ tft trans temp/ most common for me.

Take the truck for a half hour drive on level ground @ 65 mph and see what your delta# is. That is the big one if your around 3-6 degrees your oil cooler is like new,that is of coarse ect & eot difference. fht I think is the pre programmed water temp, yes.I changed name just to make simple to-(ect)

Put the velcro in a spot that you like and your set. Mine is left of steering wheel below light switch. A bit low but where I can see it when I want to and not blocking any of my guages speedo ect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts