Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my coolant disappearing in the last 15k miles. I drained my in frame Baldwin filter and it has purple water in it. I run purple Detroit diesel powercool so it's a no brainer that a injector cup has a compromise in it somehow. My coolant tank is clean however. Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this?

I get intermittent misfire low power when hot that dissapeared with new injectors now it's back after 2 yrs so I think I'll be pulling injectors and sending them for inspection and replacing injector cups...once the snow season is over:(

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well most cases involving a bad injector cup, fuel pressure is greater than coolant pressure. Since coolant passes the cup and a crack is introduced your coolant bottle will fill with fuel not he other way around. Worse case is a cracked head where coolant is making it's way into the fuel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you here mostly. Most trucks I would suspect suffer cavitation from poor coolant upkeep leading to pinholes in the cups. Cavitation pinholes vs cracked I guess is what I'm speculating.

I do get air in the suction line after running for a few minutes. It's kind of intermittent. Like a bubble every 30 seconds. I have in tank mods etc..

I have had detroits with cracked cups just put coolant in fuel. I mean like 2/10 that had problems. I guess I can put clear lines on the return ports on the heads and pressure test the coolant system and see if anything pops up.

Is there any folklore to cracked heads doing this?

·
Registered
926 Posts
There have certainly been stories of cracked heads but it's not very common, maybe a motor hat was over heated badly or had cooling issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to do some more troubleshooting obviously. Appreciate your replies!

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are times when you get cavitation behind the water pump impeller that you get a pinhole in the front cover. The area behind the front cover is not pressurized so that is how you could have coolant in the oil, compared to cracked cup where both fuel and oil have much more pressure than the coolant.

I'd dump the oil....leave the plug out and then pressurize the coolant system....if you get dripping coolant out the drain plug, you're on the right track.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Antifreeze in the fuel is what I'm getting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts