Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first diesel about a month ago. A 2002 F-250 PSD with 192,000 miles on it. Now I am having problems when I first start the truck with it skipping and smoking white out the tail pipe. After the truck get up to the normal operating range it runs great, no smoke and no skip.

After reading on this site I thought it might be the GP's. I seen the cold weather start thread and decided to go and test the glow plugs and relay. Relay checked out good and all but one GP checked good. GP's were in the range of .8 - .9 according to the thread they are good. The #3 cylinder would not ohm out. This is a bad GP.

I am thinking of doing all my GP's at the same time and was just wanting to see if anuone else had did their's and how much of a headach it was.

Thanks Craig

·
Registered
110 Posts
Replacing glow plugs are a good first experience on these trucks. I replaced mine after different codes were showing up on mine relating to the glow's. Find a thread removing injectors and they'll be the step by step instructions on the glow plug removal without the extensive injector removal. Can't remember if any special sockets are needed but make sure before you start. Just replace the one if it is the only bad one. Save the unnecessary steps in removing both valve covers and all that extra work, you'll have plenty of opportunity with these trucks to have the valve covers off again.

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
I forget what size socket these things take, but when you are backing them out the socket will get caught on one of the rocker arms (I think, it's been a couple of years since I did mine) but if you just get them started out with the correct size socket then switch to the next size large there is enough slop to where the socket won't get hung up.
I also took a syringe and sucked most of the oil that collects in the recess for the glow plug.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used a 10mm deepwell to break them loose and then switched to an 11mm to finish spinning them out. Can't take credit for the idea, read it on here. Good luck and I hope it is on the drivers side!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I would replace all 8 or atleast the 4 on that bank. The passenger side might be a little harder to take off, but still no big deal. Taking the glow plugs out is no big deal. Like they said, all you need is a 10mm deep. You will benefit from some universals to take of the valve covers.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
I used a 10 mm socket to get them loose then used a vac line off of a gasser..slipped it over the GP (had too use needle nose to push the hose onto a couple of them) and turned them out..then slid the hose on the new GP and threaded them back in...useing the hose to put them back in made it safe too know your not cross threaded...

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
I would replace all 8 or atleast the 4 on that bank. The passenger side might be a little harder to take off, but still no big deal. Taking the glow plugs out is no big deal. Like they said, all you need is a 10mm deep. You will benefit from some universals to take of the valve covers.
Universals and a stubby ratchet. If you do not own a set of swivel sockets, do yourself a favor and by a set. They will come in handy for many things on this truck.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I have a 10mm vato zone socket that is cut down to just clear the rockers for this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced the bad gp and started the truck up and still had the same problem. When I am driviang now the truck is fine but when I go WOT the truck starts speeding up then it starts sounding like it's runing out of fuel and starts skipping. If you let off the throttle for a second the skip will gradually go away and it starts running fine again.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Sounds like your injectors are getting tired. Mine started has hard cold starts too. I would do a buzz test on a completely cold engine to see how the injectors sound. You'll need a diagnostic tool capable of running the test; a lot have us have gotten Auto Enginuity on our laptops. If you plan on doing your own work, I would make the investment. Otherwise, you can just through parts/money at this motor and not fix the problem.

FWIW, I've been told these injectors are good for about 200,000 miles. If yours are original, your about there.

The good news is there's a lot of expertise on this site to help you out. Good luck!
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should do a buzz test on your injectors, white smoke is common with one or more bad injectors-had this problem a few years ago on a 99 7.3 work truck-M&D in Houston fixed the issue but damn they were expensive. Also know a few things about ULSD-ultra low sulfur diesel-which is all when buy now, has a tendency to mess up the 7.3 fuel system without some added lubricity every other fill up or so.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Have your alternator tested. Have them load test it really heavy. Mine went out, it would run fine until I went WOT or I turned my lights on. Then nothing but white smoke.

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Is the check engine light coming on at WOT as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sometimes the check engine light will come on and stay on for a few seconds and go off. I havent had a chance to let the tech that works for ford check it but I am going to have him look at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok belive this or not! I changed the oil today and the truck is running great. Has a little smoke on start up and a little puff of smoke while hitting WOT but that is to be expected. With the oil change I have noticed that the engine is a little quieter with the new oil. Thank's for all the help and I hope this info can help someone else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Relay checked out good and all but one GP checked good. =[/QUOTE said:
How do you figure out whether you have a bad glow plug without taking them out of the truck?

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Read this thread. It will walk you right through it.

It should be required reading for all 7.3 Powerstroke owners.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts