Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1996 Ford F-450 Powerstroke and the front fuel tank is full but the gauge reads empty. We have current going to the tank and when I pulled out the assembly from the tank today heard fuel sloshing around in the float, that was one problem but when I took it to the mechanic to test the electric slide switch (rheostat??) We found that it worked when the float was down and continued showing an increase in electrical data as the float was lifted but when we got to about 2/3 up, it puked out on us dead. It is a bad switch.

I took it into the local Ford dealer and they wanted about $20 for the little metal float barrel but they did not sell the little electrical switch and said I HAD TO BUY THE ENTIRE UNIT.!! WHAT A RIP OFF!!!.. And the price?? WAY north of $200

I refuse to be ripped off by Ford here, You can find all kinds of fuel sending units, complete for all kinds of cars for around $30.

So, any MacGyvers out there to tell me where I could buy just the switch and mount it to where the old switch snaps in?

I realize there will need to be a match up for the current coming from the switch in the cab to the sending unit to get a accurate reading, but if i can just get something close would make me happy. I can drain the diesel out of the float and JB weld the little crack I see where the leak is.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
You can have the sender rebuilt.

Somewhere in the forum here in the last 6 months I believe a member posted a link to a shop that rebuilds them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Bugman, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Now I need to find an operating manual for the John Deere 830 tractor I just bought tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked out E-Bay a while back when I knew this was going to be a problem and a lot of sending units but not the one for this truck. i will check them again tomorrow, thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
didn't notice the f450 part . I wonder if it's the same front tank as a f350 .
I am unsure, but was told it was same when I was inquiring on parts and working thru my issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We have a 91 F350 cab & chassis with the plastic rear tank. Nobody makes a complete sending unit for it. You can get a new switch/arm/float assy. Not sure how to mount it though, it looks like they're soldered on the tube.
What I found out other than the leaking float was somebody changed the switch but mounted it upside down. I put a new float in it and it reads backwards. Empty tank=full gauge, full tank=empty gauge. I guess I could just always run around with a 1/2 tank and be golden. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts