Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I blew up my current motor today... Threw a main bearing and possibly something else oil was all metallic. What do you guys recommend for a build on it? Like a complete kit. I got a stock spare motor that I'll be putting in for now

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just shy of 226k

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah full kit. Id take it to a engine machine shop and have them do it. or at least have them line bore it. have the crank inspected and if its still good have it ground. Make sure that if you install the crank, caps and rods with pistons you take it to a engine shop to be balanced. Honestly I would think about buying a low mile forged rod engine rather than rebuilding it at that point. But before you do anything you need to take it apart to identify what went wrong.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started the tear down and so far found 2 bad main bearings, like really bad 1/8" of slop. Never seen that before. Cranks definitely toast, I'm still figuring out if all my go fast goodies are still good. When I drained the oil I could see the shimmer of the metal particles and the filter was terrible.. Cut it open and couldn't believe my eyes at first. Probably about Pepsi can of metal...

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about buying a low mileage engine, but then I thought it'd be way more fun to build it. The temporary fix so that I have wheels for the moment was to in the engine from my totaled plow truck that had 125k on it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
flop your go fast parts on the plow engine.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are the chances of them being good after all that metal going threw the entire engine? I found that crap everywhere so far. Turbo needs a rebuild just to be safe. I took off the valve covers and it looks like someone put my nieces sparkles/ glitter in there.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Ford sells the rebuild kit for about $1000. then machining should be another $1000.
So in theory you can do a stock rebuild for $2000

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For 2750 I can get a rebuilt ready run motor from Fenton diesel. I was looking for more a high performance build kit. Seems my options limited for a complete kit tho. I take it that Fords like the only option

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Send the injectors out to have them looked over.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
For 2750 I can get a rebuilt ready run motor from Fenton diesel. I was looking for more a high performance build kit. Seems my options limited for a complete kit tho. I take it that Fords like the only option
And what are you looking for more high performance?
heads studs are all you really need to the stock long block to make 500hp+

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eventually it will see 500+ but not for a few more years. I'd like to do it now since it's out. That way when I'm ready to add more hp it'll take the power and not blow up again(hopefully).

I think she's been apart before at one point, found a few different bolts that don't belong with the rest.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And what are you looking for more high performance?
heads studs are all you really need to the stock long block to make 500hp+
And a girdle + rods...

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's news to me! Wouldn't hurt to do a girdle just in case tho. With the luck I'm having with trucks this year I bet something stupid will happen and I'll regret not doing one

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Find a good compression short block regardless of miles for a few hundred and go.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've heard this a few times now. What's the benefit of running a short block?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
No benefit until you put your heads on it.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I figured that much already, What will it gain me in the end? When it's all said and done

1 - 20 of 46 Posts