Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i wont drop it, and the pot-hole was just a coincidence.

But do all the "old school" nascar fans.(See other thread) Still fell like that was a boring a$$ race. I hate restrictor plate racing, esp in the "politically correct" Nascar Era. I hardly watch racing except for the really exciting tracks, and the daytona 500. But yet again the 500 dissapointed me.

Heres my question. I ask it here because theres ppl on here that have the knowledge required to answer.

The restrictor plate is on the car to keep cars from going too fast. The reasoning behind this is because they want to keep the cars out of the stands ultimately. Would it be practical to make a fence that would absolutely minimize the risk to fans, but let the caurburetors run "full bore" work? I understand the added risk to the driver, but just how much more risk is it going to add? I cannot believe it would be suicide, but hey, i dont know off the top of my head the pulse width of my fuel injectors either.

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
i don't know if i would say boring, but the two red flags did contribute to a rediculously long "intermission".

the restrictor plates also keep the cars from gaining so much speed that they become airborne. not matter how much aerodynamics is done, theres always a situation where the car will lift right off the pavement. like the last guy said in the other post, you really have to go to a race to experience it. even a home track race, like SK mods, or featherlites. to make a fence big enough would just be stupid, you'd end up essentially with a cage. the safety is also for teh drivers. take away a little power and make the drivers compensate with driving strategies and such.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the restrictor plates also keep the cars from gaining so much speed that they become airborne. not matter how much aerodynamics is done, theres always a situation where the car will lift right off the pavement. like the last guy said in the other post, you really have to go to a race to experience it. even a home track race, like SK mods, or featherlites. to make a fence big enough would just be stupid, you'd end up essentially with a cage. the safety is also for teh drivers. take away a little power and make the drivers compensate with driving strategies and such.
Ok. i get what you are saying, ive been to bristol and a few of the good bush only tracks. I know the cars will run 220 plus w/o the plates

So let me ask the "engineers" this. Is there a way to make the cars run like they used to(strung out all over the track) and let them run say 212 average like bill elliot's record lap at talledega. i just think that the cars can me made THAT safe at least. They have came up with so many advances on preventing the airborne issue since the 80's. and im sure the fence could be made bc even when cars have went into the stands during the 200+ era. they never went OVER the stands. could you just make the existing fence stronger?

And heres another question. The spoiler thats coming back(thank god) is fairly straight-forward how it pushes the back of the car to the ground. When the car spins 180 degrees at over 200 this actually helps lift the car off the ground. Is there a way to put it on a hinge like say the roof flaps. This way IMO the spoiler would be pushed by the air into a position to keep the rear of the car on the ground in the event of a spin.

And SOME ppl just have to understand, racing is dangerous. There was an ESPN/nascar commercial that had Jeff Burton on it(wish i could find it), that explained the danger perfectly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts