Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

back valve cover bolt

17K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  indyF-350psd 
#1 ·
I'm not a mechanic but I can handle most projects that I take on. Here is my problem. I was going to change my glow plugs, read up on how to do it. Seemed like it was fairly simple. That was until I reached the back bolt on the valve cover. Is there a special tool needed to to remove that bolt? I couldn't get a box wrench on it and was barley able to get a socket on it but not with the ratchet on it. Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
I was able to do it on both sides with a standard ratchet and socket. Unless it's really rusted in there once I got it about a half turn or so I was able to do the rest by hand.

Passenger side, you may find it easier to get the back lowers through the wheel well...

Hope that helps out some, and good luck.

#6 ·
Alright, I got the bolt out and valve cover off. While I was taking the vc off some dirt got on the inside. Is that a problem. Its not a lot of dirt just some that was around the cover. Do I need to take certain precautions?

#7 ·
Yes, that dirt will go directly into your oil pan. Get a vacuum out and get as much of the big stuff then use a lint free rag to clean up the rest of it. The oil filter will do its job, but running dirt through the low pressure oil pump isn't going to do it any favors.

#10 ·
1/4" drive mini-air ratchet, short extension, standard socket....in fact IIRC that worked on all of the bolts.

#11 ·
Make it a habit to wash engine day before you work on it..

And what is the best way to do this? I looked in the detailing section and didn't find any thing for deep cleaning the engine. So much electrical stuff to avoid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.