Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening late i returned home from Swamps... Finally got some live tuning, my truck needed it bad as Jon didnt have any tuning for a 400% nozzle on a VDH (02) truck.

Left thursday morning, and 70 miles out from La Vergne the problems start. Just cruising down the backside of a mountain, the truck ceases forward motion, revved it up and thought the input shaft again. Pulled over, and heard the TC rattling bad. Stopped the engine and to my surprise, all 6 TC bolts had backed out and the flexplate wasnt spinning it. AAA responded, (rather quickly) and we got towed the last 70 miles in, only lost an hour of time. Swamps was still open, and got new bolts put back in (AND loctited this time!:pointlaugh:)

Friday morning waited around for my new turbo (same thing) to show up, as the weekend before i left i was doing my VC gaskets, and noticed the turbo had a nice .035-.040" of in and out play:eek: Got the new centersection on, and Jon hooked up all the gadgets and the pressure transducer, and we went on tuning. Immediately Jon noticed he couldnt get the idle smoothed out, and after a half hour found out that #1 and #5 injectors were throwing some way off readings on the contribution test... Went back to the shop and that afternoon i pulled the passenger injectors, they stopped what they were doing (among the flowbench issues/backed up work schedule) and tore mine down to find that the plunger and barrel assemblies werent up to spec... Fixed them and the problem went away but soon came back, two more on the other side dropped off.... (i am going to send them back sometime soon to have them all gone through and fixed)

Saturday commence city tuning, in traffic, getting down shift points, alot of pulling off, loading a tune, and pulling back on the highway. After that we went out on the highway to do some higher power testing, and 30 miles out, lose the belt, and the idler pulley up top passes us on the highway... putt slowly back to the shop with no brakes, steering or water pump (filled block) and kept the oil temp 250-260*, but made it back, put on a new idler, new belt, and back out to the highway, and a few miles later, truck stalls. Starts up and stalls as soon as in gear.. traced down the issue to be the IPR nut fell off in the valley and the solenoid slid back the shaft... Fixed it hand tight, tuned some, and fell off again, tuned some, fell off again... Last time as the sun was going down noticed the belt was shredding again, found that the idler pulley musta smacked the grooved pulley on the tensioner and put a nice inward dent in that... went back to the shop, new belt, new tensioner, called it a night... Jon said the truck ran strong, but will still shudder some after a hard run, and is down 75-100hp on acceleration because of only 6 injectors performing as they should..

Anyone who has been there knows how the Swamps guys are, every one of them so nice and personable, they let me work on my own truck using their tools, i could walk up to them and they would teach me about how a FICM works, or exactly everything that goes on when the flow bench is running, etc. Cant thank them enough for how much they helped me this weekend, but im glad the issues happened when we were there, as i didnt have a way to fix any of it had these happened on the way home!

Overall the truck runs completely different even aside from the small injector issue, worked 75% on transmission shifting and tuning on my daily setting, and it runs great, low smoke.. Im anxious to get the injectors fixed and then take it to the track to see what she does :D

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
That sounds about like my early years. Always something going wrong. These rigs are so fun when they run right but a few times self preservation was the only thing keeping me from running directly into the nearest tree or lake!

Anyways, I'm glad for you that it is getting closer and I can't wait to hear about your results when it is completed.

Did I mention that I love my 200% nozzles? I mean LOVE these things.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Swamps is by far one of the best shops.

I had a few days long email converstaion with Dave about possibilities on a build on my motor and even though i told him it wouldnt be any time soon he still went above and beyond to make sure i know everything about building my 7.3 to a 500hp monster. That right there says what kinda people/company they are

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
(i rode down with junkie), just a great group of people, more than willing to take time out of their busy days to teach you #### that they do everyday, and tolerate you being a customer wandering around their shop, whether it be, hey whatre you doin to that, or why do you do that?, ha, cant wait to go back,

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
That sounds like one hell of a full day......glad it's getting better and running stronger Kris, and you have not lost your persistence!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Glad to hear you got some things worked out. Swamps crew has always been more than willing to answer questions when I have called them. There a good bunch of guys.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Little rough going but in the end, you got fixed up and got to hang with the Swamps crew, sweet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts