Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had issues with cold weather hard starts last weather and replaced all 8 glow plugs and upgraded to the Stancor gpr. Trucked started beautiful after that. This fall I decided to go ahead and replace alternator and both batteries in prep for the winter to come. Well the hard starts are back. At the moment I cant find my multi meter but it seems that the batteries arent taking the load of the gp's first thing in the morning. When the key cycles for the first time in the morning the volts looks awfully low going off the dash. Its starts everytime but she doesnt fire right off like it did last year. I remember last year when the gp's where cycling the needle read right at the "n" now it's much lower. But I did notice that after the truck is drove. When I go to start it again. Key on gp's on the gauge is reading at "n" again. Almost like the batteries are draining overnight?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
You need to find that meter or pick up another one. Even a cheap one will work to check the actual battery voltage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to find that meter or pick up another one. Even a cheap one will work to check the actual battery voltage.
So just for thoughts.. let's say the glow plug take more of a toll on the batteries on the first cycle of the day? Reasoning behind that? Batteries are literally 3 months old

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The plugs will stay on longer for the first stare due to it sitting all night in the cold. Then after you drive it a ways and the engine block heats up it will actually stay quite warm unless you let it sit again for a extended period of time.

But without knowing just what voltage you are starting with so to speak before you even turn the key on we are just guessing.

You could also have some wiring problems unless you changed out the harnesses last year when you did the glow plugs. They like to burn the pins in the harness and valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I’d check you batteries with a battery tester and also pending type of batteries the connections at the posts my needed some cleaning. The cold really puts the electric system through its paces. I’d clean posts, test batteries individually and also charge them individually. How cold is it out on the first start?
j

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d check you batteries with a battery tester and also pending type of batteries the connections at the posts my needed some cleaning. The cold really puts the electric system through its paces. I’d clean posts, test batteries individually and also charge them individually. How cold is it out on the first start?

j
Past 2 mornings it's been 16 and 18 degrees. With the block heater plugged in she fire right off

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Past 2 mornings it's been 16 and 18 degrees. With the block heater plugged in she fire right off

YUp that’s starting to be cool enough to show weeknesses in the system. Not sure what type of batteries but you might wanna check the water level in them and again I’d start with basics first.... clean posts, load test individually, and see where you are at. How old is the starter? Reason I ask is older starter will put significant load on batteries with the end result of running them down impacting cold starts. Not saying you need to replace starter, but just thinking of the whole system and what’s causing draw. If you do need to replace starter do it with a SD one from 2000-2003, they are a reduction starter, cost less, spin significantly faster and are two bolt install (compared to 3).
j

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YUp that’s starting to be cool enough to show weeknesses in the system. Not sure what type of batteries but you might wanna check the water level in them and again I’d start with basics first.... clean posts, load test individually, and see where you are at. How old is the starter? Reason I ask is older starter will put significant load on batteries with the end result of running them down impacting cold starts. Not saying you need to replace starter, but just thinking of the whole system and what’s causing draw. If you do need to replace starter do it with a SD one from 2000-2003, they are a reduction starter, cost less, spin significantly faster and are two bolt install (compared to 3).

j
I went with Motorcraft Max batteries from Oriellys. Bought in November. Not sure how old the starter is. But when I put the new batteries in I cleaned all the connections

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put a meter on the batteries 12.58. Key to on position 11.69. After glow plugs turn off idle voltage is 14.34

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
could be a bad starter too. my 02 almost would not start unless plugged in. new starter and main cable and it will now fire off at -5 degrees with 15 seconds of glow plugs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
could be a bad starter too. my 02 almost would not start unless plugged in. new starter and main cable and it will now fire off at -5 degrees with 15 seconds of glow plugs.
I'm leaning towards it being the starter. It just doesnt turn over the way it did the previous years. I think between the alternator going bad and then the batteries failing may have done some damage to the starter?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts