Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting a coil spring 60 under my 99 my 50 is junk.
What I need to know is there a difference with the 05-07 axles vs the 08 and up axles and wich would be better to use, might go ahead and get the matching rear also,

·
Registered
105 Posts
For the rear the 08+ springs are longer so you have to get a conversion kit.

Up front the front of the frame is different so I don't think it just bolts up.

The 05-07 WILL 100% bolt up EXCEPT the trac bar bracket. That will require that 2 holes be drilled in the crossmember. Other than that...its bolt on. I wouldn't mess with tho 08+ axles. It'll be way more expensive and way more of a headache.

·
Administrator
8,281 Posts
I disagree. 08+ don't have any more headaches. You just have to buy a 05-07 track bar bracket to make it work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the only thing different between the 2 axles mounting is the tracking bar mount? And I thought it bolted up to the driver side frame, sorry it took so long to get back to you

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I would have to drill for the coil buckets you're saying they bolt up to pre existing holes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The buckets should bolt up as the 2wd models use coils, my 04 had the bucket holes, just enlarged them to accept 1/2 bolts. Also had to drill for the bump stops.

I would recommend using the 05-07 radius arm brackets, the holes should line up better than the 08+ ones. I used the 08+ for my swap and they required a lot of "adjusting" to the holes and had to drill some more. The brackets for the 08+ are larger than the 05-07 ones.

I used the 05-07 track bar bracket, had to cut a window in the frame for the front bolt to utilize the factory hardware. I also need an adjustable track bar to re-center my axle with a 2.5 leveling kit.

benny

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there should be some holes to mount up to using 05-07 brackets and buckets, just not wanting to go into this blind gonna try and do it in a weekend. So you used the factory track bar mount. Where did you have to cut a window and was it necessary?

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
05-07 vs 08 has a different sway bar mount on the axle front
and the rear has a different shock mount ( neither a big deal )

you don't need to use the 08 leas with the 08 axle but the longer springs some say ride nicer some say don't bother so IDK

then don't forget the steering box and pitman arm as part of the swap ( from what i have read )

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the help. Does anybody else have any experience with this? mine is 4wd. Anything else to know?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did mine a few years ago pretty easy swap. A lot of the holes are there for the 2WD setup. I would talk to Cary at CT performance as he can sell you parts if you need them as well as walk you through the process. You can use your current steering box but you will need to ream the pitman arm to a larger size to accommodate the larger parts off the new front end. if I can answer any questions please let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you decide to use the 08 box, there will be some mods that need to be done. You will have to massage the bolt holes for the box mount as the 08+ uses larger bolts. You will have to source new bolts as the 08+ frames are narrower at the box mount and as a result, use shorter bolts. The 08+ boxes use a different imput shaft. It is a tri-lobe setup. I cut apart the rag joints of both styles and put the 08+ input side on my 04 shaft. I used a combination of the hoses to hook it up. I used the 08+ line that runs up to the hydroboost. The bends are pretty close to matching up. I believe I used an 05 line for the other one. I swapped over to the 05 res set up.

As far as the track bar bracket window, it is necessary to mount up the front of the bracket. Installed the bracket then cut a window at the front mount area on the inside of the frame just ahead of the steering box. Just need access to feed in the factory nut and bar to reach the hole. I believe I had to drill the front hole.

I believe you can use an 05-07 sway bar. I used the 08+ and it required some fabrication. I made drop brackets to locate the swaybar as the 08+ frames drop considerably. Also hammered the brackets on my frame flat to mount my drop brackets. Had to move the sway bar ahead as much as possible to clear the coils.

any more questions, feel free to ask

benny

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for all the input been real busy at work....I have bought a set of axles out of an 07, this is gonna be mut lol, 07 axles steering box and track bar bracket, 2011 buckets, 2012 arms and brackets, they were all free so that's why the mixed years, and I'm not complaining. Got it tore apart now trying to mount these brackets, but it's coming together I appreciate all the help with everything,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a little bow to these coil springs. Is that supposed to be there? I got a 2.5 leveling puck in it

·
Administrator
8,281 Posts
Normal with a leveling puck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright one last thing this track bar bracket, I'm using the 07 bracket looks like it bolts to the coil bucket but on the other side it's a good 3/4" from the frame does it just need to be shimmed up, or am I missing something?
Thank you everybody got the help

·
Administrator
8,281 Posts
Track bar bracket should bolt right where the old one was.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No completely different has 5 bolts instead of 3 only hole that lines up is one on the cross member

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did get it all finished last weekend, the track bar bracket dogs bolt on straight the coil bucket was a little bent so when it all tightened up it all lined up perfect after drilling the holes. Thank you everybody for the help and advice it turned out nice

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did get it all finished last weekend, the track bar bracket dogs bolt on straight the coil bucket was a little bent so when it all tightened up it all lined up perfect after drilling the holes. Thank you everybody for the help and advice it turned out nice
Did you take any pics? I'm looking at doing this to my 02 F350 but would like some pics or a write up to reference.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you take any pics? I'm looking at doing this to my 02 F350 but would like some pics or a write up to reference.

Thanks
I can take some pics for you if i could figure out how to post them lol... but actually it turned out easier than i originally thought. but ill explain the best i can... i used 2011 buckets they had a raised indention on the back that needs to be ground flush as our frame doesnt have a spot for it other than that they bot right up using existing holes including the bump stop holes for the leaf spring suspension the driver side bucket has a hole on the bottom front use that as a pilot hole to drill for the 05-07 track bar bracket, while also youll have to drill the 3 holes in the cross member for the track bar bracket (do these last once you get it mounted). as for the radius arms they take the most work, at least for me they did i used 2012 brackets and arms, i believe there are only 3 holes on the bottom that line up (that need to be enlarged) out of the 7 per side, then theres a rivet on both sides of the frame that are in the way of mounting the bracket flush i just drilled a hole in each bracket to go around the rivet once that is done mount the bracket mark and drill the remaining holes, use a good bit and oil to not burn your bit up. i used my stock gear box and just had the pitman arm reamed out at my local 4x4 shop for 20$. i did not cut a window in my frame for the track bar bracket i just used the 05 nut taped it to a level and slid inside the frame till i got the bolt started and pulled the level back out. but thats just what i did, i didn't feel like cutting a window lol... make sure when you get the springs you get the rubber inserts that go on top so they fit tight on the bucket. get as much hardware (bolts and nuts) from a donor makes life easier brake lines are all the same far as thread wise but mount differently. thats all i can think of right now, you think of anything else just ask, ill do my best

1 - 20 of 23 Posts