Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 F-250SD that I swapped in the axles/steering/suspension from an '06. On my '99 rear axle both shocks are behind the axle no factory torsion bar, in newer generation Ford moved the rear axle passenger side shock from behind the axle to in front of the axle and there is a torsion bar. Seems straightforward enough moving the shock gives better control of wheel hop on acceleration. The torsion/anti-sway bar has the better on-road characteristics. I drove the truck for a bit (~2000 miles) with the axle and torsion bar moved over to the '99, but could only mount the driver side shock as there was a mismatch for mounts on the passenger side. I finally got the passenger side shock added (took a while to get a mount)...the first drive I go on and the rear axle went into an oscillation that all I can say is I am glad I was only doing 30MPH...it was tough to control that slowly. Any thoughts from a suspension/axle guru? What has happened makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is a new one, Read your article several times to get a handle on your doings,, you must have a good set up with that much effort applied,,, Place your truck on solid stands and put it in drive,,Slowly accelerate the drive line,,Got bandaids ?? The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Gov, you're thinking slippage somewhere in the rear leaf perches or leaf to axle pins?

·
Registered
67 Posts
No ,, The thought was toward your axle hop ? What would a visual picture reveal ? Also if supported be sure it wont hop off supports , the comment on having band aides, be careful.. With help you might visually see the event develop,, Have a friend run up your axel speed.. If one was talking side by side our conversation would be easy,, good luck,,let us know .. The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
68 Posts
What is your pinion angle? Maybe start at the back of the T-case and map it out. Maybe some pictures of leaf springs also

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Point of clarification...this setup drove fine for 2000 miles with no problems at all...all I added was the passenger side rear shock and I went for a drive that was going smooth it was after going over a bridge that wasn't perpendicular to the road and the rear axle started bouncing vigorously up and down (left then right, not both at the same time). I brought the truck to a stop and looked...nothing looked out of the ordinary. Drove it back home and it was smooth as can be. I've driven that same stretch of road a lot and never seen anything like it.

BKB, pinion angle is the factory set; nothing was changed here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, I wish it were one of those problems. I need the truck this weekend and will likely just remove the RR shock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The single shock in my mind could not create that axel shudder, no shock on either side would only allow axel hop not create it ,, good luck and take bandaids with you...The Gov Holmes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts