Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a thread that addressed my interest, but it was closed. I want to add a 5 amp lamp to my reverse light circuit and am wondering if the reverse light switch can handle it or should I add a relay in the circuit. Can those of you who have added lights report on whether you've had any problems or if you have a relay or not? Thanks!!

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i added a pair or cheepo work lights from harbor freight under the bumper and i just tapped them into the wires in the existing harness. it lasted a day and blew the fuse, i replaced it and it has been fine ever since, however a relay wouldnt be a bad idea

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got a set of halogen fog lights from advance auto for 20$ and self-tapp-screwed em in on the bottom of the rear bumper. The hitch receiver protects em from getting hit by anything underneith as it hangs down lower than the lights. The lights were grounded thru the lamp frame and the "hot" wire routed up the truck frame to a 3 position switch (constant on, on with reverse, and off) on the dash. I powered the switch thru the reverse wire in the steering colum bundle. Also for ease of dash removal I used a male/female trailer hitch plug in line to disconect the switch from the wiring bundle, much easier than trying to mess with screws and solderless connections by feel and a stubby driver from the opposite side of the dash lol. I can post pics tomarrow as i am at work and can't now. Speakin of which I need to post pics of my truck on several threads lol.
just my two pennies
matt z

ps. I noted after the fact that while I can see behind me well, I have a hard time seeing along the side of the truck and in front of the duall, so a second set of lights will be installed midship, so I can see beside as well as behind me.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
ps. I noted after the fact that while I can see behind me well, I have a hard time seeing along the side of the truck and in front of the duall, so a second set of lights will be installed midship, so I can see beside as well as behind me.
that is an AWESOME idea i might have to do that LOL

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
I have a set of fog lights next to my reciever, Had them since i got the truck 4 years ago. Just grounded them to thereself, where i bolted them, then run a power wire to the hot lead of the reverse lamp in the tail light housing. I was very very suprised i still have not needed to run a power lead, and relay. But they have worked flawlessly for 4 years.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That's the info I'm looking for gotti, thanks. It will make the install much simpler.
may make the install easier but wiring them direct to the reverse lights is not the right way to do it... Take teh time to run a relay and do it right. It took me a total of a hour to mount the lights and wire them up with a relay and install the switch. Only thing i need to change is get a 3 way switch so i can hook them up to the reverse switch as done above. But thats easy as the wire is a food away from my switch. Its quick to run wire from front to back

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I put mine on a toggle switch that way I can turn them on as needed with out having to put truck in reverse. while hooking up at night!

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
sorry but no pix of them lit up..but these are 55W lights hidden above the bumper (snowbanks and slush build up like to rip lights off from under the bumper around here)...its like having low beam headlights out back.they light when i put her in reverse or i can turn them on with a switch

...and this is how I wired them. Power from the battery through a 30amp relay. Primary trigger is the reverse wire which is found inside the frame (Black/green). Secondary trigger switch on the dash using a diode to prevent the backflow of current.

Attachments

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
3-4 years with a pair of Napa tractor lights... Tied into the factory reverse lights...

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
If you link with the 600 size thumbnail on webshots you get a nice sized photo to post.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
thanks for the tip Tom..

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Do it right the first time. Run a dedicated circuit with a relay. Trigger the relay with reverse and manually from a 3 position(on/off/on) switch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did mine with a relay, and used an upfitter switch to turn them on whenever, plus the backup lights as a trigger also. I even took it one step further and added a second relay to it, so that the backup up light trigger only works with the running lights on, that way they don't come on when I'm backing up during the day. Not necessary, just something to make mine different from everyone else's installs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. 20 years ago I wouldn't have asked, I'd have done the relay with diode and axillary wire. I'm not as ambitious as I used to be and just need more light for plowing snow, it sounds like the factory switch will carry the load.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts