Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
Damn thats awesome. Never thought of that before.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Damn! if that works that well that would be sweet. Ill have to try it soon:D

·
917 Posts
Electrolisys works well too bucket of water add lye hook one end of battery charger to your rusty part submerge in water hook other charger lead to a electrode (Piece of rebar works well) submerge that in the water make sure the two don't touch turn charger on and go relax

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool!

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
how much vinegar would you need to dip the truck?LOL

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was thinking of putting it in a sprayer and dosin it every hour.......seriously! Cant hurt.

Keep it wet for 24 hours and then thru the car wash! sound funny but it might take a ton of the labor out of the equation.

Hmmm
and start from the center line and work out......

Maybe

·
Registered
504 Posts
there would be no way to keep it wet that long unless you went out every hour, lots of vinegar, would be awesome if someone figured it out i need lots of frame rust removed.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Definitely never seen that before. So does it have to be that Malt Vinegar or can white or cider vinegar work?

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
I am gonna try this on the wife's blazer. It spent many years in WV and could use some help. I think I will put a little baking soda on the brush when i scrub

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
hmm what could ya mix it with to make it like a jelly....I got some axles to do!!
It is called Naval Jelly - been around for a long, long time.

Which part, the vinegar or the effort we are putting into other ways to do it? LOL
Definitely never seen that before. So does it have to be that Malt Vinegar or can white or cider vinegar work?
Any vinegar - it is acetic acid that is doing the work here.

I am gonna try this on the wife's blazer. It spent many years in WV and could use some help. I think I will put a little baking soda on the brush when i scrub
That is not the way you want to go. Baking Soda neutralizes the acetic acid quickly so little pickling is done. Pickling is what the acetic acid is doing to rust. In plating applications a very strong nitric acid is used.

Describing the Chemical Reaction between Baking Soda and Vinegar

Baking soda, a pure chemical called sodium bicarbonate, has the chemical formula:

NaHCO3

When dissolved in water baking soda separates into sodium (Na+) and bicarbonate ions (HCO3- ):

NaHCO3 ---> Na+(aq) + HCO3-(aq)

Vinegar, a weak (5%) solution of acetic acid in water, partially dissociates into hydrogen ( H+) and acetate ions (CH3COO-):

CH3COOH <--> H+(aq) + CH3COO-(aq)

The reaction between baking soda and vinegar is actually two reactions, an acid base reaction followed by a decomposition reaction.

When the two ingredients are mixed, hydrogen ions ( H+) from the vinegar react with the bicarbonate ions (HCO3- ) from the baking soda to form a new chemical called carbonic acid (H2CO3).

H+ + HCO3- ---> H2CO3

The carbonic acid thus formed then immediately decomposes into carbon dioxide gas (CO2)and water (H2O).

H2CO3 ---> H2O + CO2

It's this carbon dioxide gas that you see bubbling and foaming as soon as you mix baking soda and vinegar together.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Damn you Marty! Why didn't you post this 2 years ago when I started getting serious about removing rust?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts