Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i am looking at trucks and don't want to make a mistake. i am looking at 4x4, 7.3, reg cab, manuals. I am considering either an obs or a SD, depends on what type of deal I can find and what condition the truck is in. I don't know much about the E99 SD though. Should I avoid it or are there things to keep my eyes open for with them?

All I will do to the truck performance wise is a set of stage 1s and possible turbo upgrade. I am not looking to make tons of power, lots of smoke and will never pull a sled or do drags. I want something that makes good power, might pull 10k every once in a while and start every time I turn the key. I have other reliability mods in mind like a fuel system upgrades, filtration upgrades, what not also.

So what do i need to know about an e99?

thanks
micky

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Mine is an early bird. I'd say that the only down fall of the early is that it uses a different turbo pedestal, up pipes, and intake Y. Its similar to the the late 99-03 but different enough that a gtp38r turbo won't bolt right on. Other than that they're just fine.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
If you are planning on doing small injectors and turbo I would get one. Just go with a 66 from beans. Early 99s have smaller injectors, intake plenums and a 15 degree hpop. A good step up would be to get a 17 for it in the future.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
.we all change the same parts in the end to get where we want to be if you plan on going for 400 HP or more....the only thing early on my truck now is the build date...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Look at my sig. I tow a 12K+ toyhauler in the mtns here in Az in summer and it pulls great and has been solid. If you're not looking for BIG power it will do good. Intake, exhaust & guages first.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the super quick responses. A trip to beans would likely be in the card with any of the options. I don't really care, a d66 is all the turbo I would ever need. All I will do is stage 1s so I don't need anything more than that. I would do an adrenaline also, kind of a piece of mind.

thanks
micky

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more question, did these have the zf5 or 6?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I can reach 27psi with stock turbo & inj with Jody's 40T tune with the trailer pulling a 9 mile 6% grade in temps around 100* with egt around 1250-1300. You said you weren't going for big power and towing only 10K once in a while . Whe spend the $$$ for the turbo & inj?? Just curious. I have had mine up to 85_90 mph with the trailer once to see what it would after the adrenaline instal. Was runnind about 16-17 psi and egt was about 1100 once I got up to speed. That turbo & inj will buy a lot of other things. Without the supporting mods the turbo & inj will not be as effective imho. This is just my $.02

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The plan isn't to make a race truck out of it but a bit more power is a good thing right. plus the truck will be running 38-42" tires shortly after purchase.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
No AIH Heater or Relay, No Cruise Control light on some of the real early ones.

There are a a few other minor differances besides what's in/on the engine, front rotors, track bar, PCM most upgraded when going for more power
(450+) even then one vendor that I have read about can tune using the e99 pcm.

317k and goin strong here.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
love mine as well.278k and going strong.adrenaline made a big difference in mine.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Another wag for the early 99 i love mine had 208,000 mile of pullin no less 14k a day as a concrete contrators truck and if you know the things they put them throu that would impress you then it made it to 250,000 with crappy tunes and such before i pinholed a cylinder wall so there a great truck other than the smaller HPOP which the adrenaline fixes very well

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
.we all change the same parts in the end to get where we want to be if you plan on going for 400 HP or more....the only thing early on my truck now is the build date...
:whs:

I love my early bird. 280K and still running really strong.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
have you swapped out the IDM yet Andy?? i just moded mine strait to the 140.. the early 99 has a 110 the 99.5 has the 120..

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I saw no difference between the 110 and 120 IDMs.

I saw a difference with the high volt/high freq IDM.

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
thay are ZF6 transmissions.. mines an e99 and so far im happy with it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
im runnin 37s and its doin great. also the E99s have ww and forged rods. the laters dont. i say go with e99 so u can get that stuff then upgrade the turbo and other thing and dont have to worry about rods busting or surging.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have had my early 99 for 8 years. I`ve beat on it, drove it 200 miles per day for a while, hauled more than I should, and it has been one hell of a truck. It has never let me down. In all of the time I`ve had it I have rebuilt the entire brake system, one alternator, new batteries, tires, and a clutch. I would call that pretty good for the time and mileage I`ve had it. I would buy another one tomorrow without any hesitation.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts