Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is kinda one more of them :doh::confused::doh: questons !
Why and what make autos so much faster then sticks ?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
you NEVER loose power to the wheels, along with torque multiplying characteristics of the torque converter. Am I close?

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
IMPO I say its because its hard to launch and make boost at the line because you cant load the turbo...if you run in to a nasty stick shift truck and a guy that can bang gears u will find they pull hard on the BIG END and ya might just end up getting reeled in like baby trout :D!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
my bro in utah could bang the hell out of his six speed cummins...........it was SSSIIICCCCKKKK!!!

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Torque multiplication, launch, no loss of boost between shifts, time loss shifting, etc...

Take your pick. Autos are much faster especially in this particular application.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I don't care how fast you can bang gears. You cannot outshift an auto.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
I got a auto:poke:LOL My dad used to kid me, and maybe he's right, its not the truck, its who's driving it.:pullover:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Like was said before You cannot preload a stick and get a boosted launch. And the only stick that can shift as fast as an auto is in a prostock with an air shifter. Just my $.02.

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
173 Posts
The manuel puts more power to the wheels than a auto thus they pull harder when you grab the next gear and your boost is up.

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
isn't that just when the TC isn't locked though? Or am i wrong?

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
fluid dynamics, electronic controlled shifting, no human lag time.

auto's. Boosted launch,... foot to the floor and go, the trans will shift at 3.5K with 25psi boost (just an example)

manual, slip clutch at start to try and make some boost, dump clutch, run out get to 3.5K.. clutch in, let off a little throttle, loose boost, grab gear, side step clutch..

also, off the line a auto with the TC unlocked can increase the amount of torque going into the transmission, and when the tc is locked it has to spin the transmission input shaft just about as fast as the flex plate.

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts
Can't do a boosted launch?! I guess I've never done a 5, 10, 15, or even 20 psi boosted launch in my 5 speed then, like when I was cutting 2.0 & 1.9 60's at the strip without ladder bars hopping badly on the launch.

Made a couple passes last night! - Powerstroke Nation

I still think I could break into the high 13's with my '97 if I had time to get the suspension straightend out and launching right.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not everyone can handle three pedals, with two feet. I dont have a stick truck anymore, but back in the day, I had this old 1/2 ton chevy with a granny 4sp, and I did some serious power braking in that truck. Got a few driving awards for it too. However, in a flat out drag race, youd be hard pressed, with two of the same setup (motor, suspension, cab/chassis config) to beat an auto, with a stick truck, in the diesel world.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I've done lots of boosted launches in old red - its really not all that hard to do if you have a clutch that can handle being slipped a little, or have a turbo setup that can be lit off of engine RPMs entirely. Hell at 4K RPMs I could make 15psi of boost with no load with the right turbo setup. At WOT on the pulling track the truck would do 55psi of boost with 65psi of backpressure - exactly what I wanted it to do.

·
Sponge
219 Posts
I have an auto. WHEN I DRIVE A RENTAL CAR!!!

Just kidding. Obviously I enjoy a little more involvement in the operation of my truck. The fat pedal to stop, skinny pedal to go, look out the window, use free hand to chat on phone/stuff face with snack food thing seems about as fun as driving that rental car.

But sadly autos are faster drag racers, I believe, because they remove most human involvement. What removes the fun, also removes reaction time issues, and the driver's ability to keep the revs up during shifts. And, like everyone else mentioned, launching with the engine/turbo already loaded up gives a big advantage in the first 100' or so.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
an auto will generally be faster in the 1/4 b/c of their launching characteristics, but on the street a manual truck will hang right beside a similar setup auto if you can shift fast enough. in my truck(keep in mind stock turbo) i can shift and only drop down to 15-17lbs of boost when max boost is only 24lbs at the moment thanks to some some boost leaks... :mad:

so in a manual you don't lose all boost during shifts, the only hard part is the launch and building boost there, not after a shift. aside from all that i just see it as personal preference. if you wanna be able to just floor it and go without having to do anything else then thats cool and you will probably get a little better times that way. i personally like having to work for my times. it takes skillz to jam gears all the way down the track.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
on the street a manual truck will hang right beside a similar setup auto if you can shift fast enough.
I actually think the manual offers some distinct advantages on the street, even for going fast. Being able to be in the right gear and ready to go at the drop of a hat is a huge advantage. And on the street most kills are from a roll-on and are over w/ after 1-2 gears anyways.

I won't even consider owning a car that isn't a manual as I enjoy the constant interaction and being able to squirt around traffic and coast at will. But then cars shift nicer than trucks.

Cutting a 1.9 60' in a manual in one of these trucks is impressive. I've watched a proven 500 hp truck run 14's because of the manual and the driver.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Not everyone can handle three pedals, with two feet. I dont have a stick truck anymore, but back in the day, I had this old 1/2 ton chevy with a granny 4sp, and I did some serious power braking in that truck. Got a few driving awards for it too. However, in a flat out drag race, youd be hard pressed, with two of the same setup (motor, suspension, cab/chassis config) to beat an auto, with a stick truck, in the diesel world.

:whs: Exact same set-ups... one auto, one stick. Who is going to win? Or should I say, how much more horsepower does a stick need to keep up... LOL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts