Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I got 3 autometer gauges for my '99 7.3 PSD from Summit. EGT, Trans temp and Boost Z series.

Installed them all in the exact same manner as I did on the L (sans for the EGT of course) and all worked as advertised, initially....

That was Wednesday, Thursday while driving the EGT gauge needle began fluxing wildly and then died abruptly. Rechecked all wiring, even moved the ground to another location, and other connections - good. When I romp on it and EGT goes up the gauge will begin to read while still fluxing and then go back to dead when I let off throttle. Called AM tech and after a short conversation they're sending me a new thermocouple.

This morning on the way to work the trans temp gauge pegged out at 250* Spend time during the workday rechecking things and found all to look good. Eased the truck home with the gauge reading off the scale hot and drained a small amount of fluid from the pan to find that it read 90* and I could stick my finger in it so needless to say that sender or gauge went Tango Uniform also.
The boost gauge seems to still be operating however.....for now.

What are the chances I get two out of three bad gauges from stock? I have all Autometer gauges in the L and haven't had ANY issues with them. I hope this isn't a change in their quality.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You may have a bad or intermittent bad ground issue. Not sure how you wired everything but that is what came to mind as whats the possibility both sensors had issues this close together and on the same truck. I am leaving off basic checking stuff like voltage with a multimeter etc as I assume that was part of your checking and diagnosing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trans temp sender is bad. New one is on the way. Good customer service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Summit is pretty good about taking care of customers, its really no skin off there back as they send it right back to Autometer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
ive had a few crap senders over he years as well on my AM guages in my mustangs. always had luck getting them replaced quickly. no big deal to me if the customer service is there

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Also, you said you changed your ground location but do you have these gauges ground wire tied together? Try putting the EGT ground wire to its own ground.

·
Administrator
33,055 Posts
I tell ya I have a bunch of autometer gauges in another vehicle and 1/2 have failed over the years
this is the reason I went with the Insight for my Superduty

I am glad they got you dialed in

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I own a set of autometer z series gauges and have installed 4 other sets for friends. No issue on any of them. I've had mine for 4 years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Summit is pretty good about taking care of customers, its really no skin off there back as they send it right back to Autometer.
They're service is top notch, I shop there as much as I can.

Also, you said you changed your ground location but do you have these gauges ground wire tied together? Try putting the EGT ground wire to its own ground.
I did move the EGT to it's own ground location, no change in readings.

I tell ya I have a bunch of autometer gauges in another vehicle and 1/2 have failed over the years
this is the reason I went with the Insight for my Superduty

I am glad they got you dialed in
If these new sensors don't hold up everything's going back to Summit for some other gauge brand. No reason to put up with numerous failures but I'll chalk these up to my first two with AM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received both new sensors today and installed them. EGT gauge worked normally at idle for 10 minutes.

Trans temp went to 100* when I turned the key on a cold engine and went to 180* in the same time it idled. Gauge must be bad.

·
Administrator
33,055 Posts
I would call it a day and send it all packing if you are 100% sure it's not on your wiring end

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
These problems is the main reason I myself am going with the Insight CTS... do it once and forget about it...

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I have had Dakota Digital gauges in my truck for about three years now with no issues. One feature I like is that you can display more then one output on each gauge if you want. Dakota Digital Individual Instruments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have AM in mine. Boost, trans, egt. 4-5 yrs with no issues. I can't explain your failures but mine are still working and are spot on with my scangauge. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
are they electric guages, or mechanical?

i have full sweep electric. if you put dielectric grease in any of the fittings to help against corrostion, it will read funny/wrong/not right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything is working fine now, see for how long this time.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Haven't had any problems with them here, had the C-2 gauges and now the z series. They're a pretty quality gauge IMO. Only thing I do have a beef with is the lighting quality is a little off, not sure why but on the C-2's one gauge was always brighter than the others and you could hardly see on one of them, even with the dimmer turned all the way up. Have the same problem on the z series.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
i had that issue also. call autometer direct. they are in sycamore, IL. if you send them the guages, they will color match the lights in it.

they did that on my cobalts. i told them the blue was off on one guage, and dim on another, and they told me to send them in, and they matched it, and sent them back.

at no charge to me, other than shipping them there.

it should be noted, i have the cobalt full sweep electric. my lights are led's. i dont know if it matters, just figured i would throw that out there.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Sweet, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give them a call if I encounter the same problem with the Cobalt's I'm getting for my brother's 2001

1 - 19 of 19 Posts