Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an E99 F-350 with a ZF. I upgraded to a 2000 model computer so I can install a chip or a tuner down the road. My Cousin has a Superchips Tuner (I know its not the best, but its free and good enough for me to find out if a little extra power will help me with what I'm looking for). He doesn't use it anymore cause he upgraded to an Edge Product so he told me I could borrow it to see if I liked it. Its for an Auto truck though. Can I use the tunes in the Unit on my Manual trans equipped truck?? Thanks for your help.

--Ryan

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
No PCM change was necessary to run a tuner or a chip on your truck. OBD2 ports for a tuner have been available since 1995 and that is all thats necessary.

Many 'tuners' are compatible (like the Superchips) with a variety of trucks, but a chip is setup directly based on the PCM code. You will find the code on the PCM. Manual trucks often deal best with canned tuners as they don't require transmission tuning-- poor trans tuning from tuners can hurt autos.

Now that you've checked PSN for this info, please continue to do so to avoid getting incorrect information that made you swap a perfectly good PCM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm... from all the research I did (on this site included) said that to run a custom burned chip I would need to upgrade to a later model computer? maybe I misunderstood, but it wasn't a big deal either way cause my trucks computer shot craps anyway. I was originally planning on putting a TS 6pos in the truck and probably still will, but when my cousin told me he had the hadnheld SC tuner, I though "What the hey. I'll try it!" But you're basically saying though that it will work with my 5spd truck then??

--Ryan

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
hmm... from all the research I did (on this site included) said that to run a custom burned chip I would need to upgrade to a later model computer? maybe I misunderstood, but it wasn't a big deal either way cause my trucks computer shot craps anyway. I was originally planning on putting a TS 6pos in the truck and probably still will, but when my cousin told me he had the hadnheld SC tuner, I though "What the hey. I'll try it!" But you're basically saying though that it will work with my 5spd truck then??

--Ryan
I think someone told you something wrong or you misunderstood. You shouldn't need to change your ECM. You can flash a program onto it or install a chip without changing the ECM.

How do you know your ECM is shot?

·
super tuner
164 Posts
you cant use an auto tuner on a manual truck. i had this problem a few months back but my experiences were with a chip, not a tuner. But i had the same mindset as you, "why not, got nothin to lose" i had a 6 position chip my buddy gave me that was burned for an auto and i had no response from the PPS at low rpms. removed the chip and it was like someone poured me some horsepower in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No PCM change was necessary to run a tuner or a chip on your truck. OBD2 ports for a tuner have been available since 1995 and that is all thats necessary.

Many 'tuners' are compatible (like the Superchips) with a variety of trucks, but a chip is setup directly based on the PCM code. You will find the code on the PCM. Manual trucks often deal best with canned tuners as they don't require transmission tuning-- poor trans tuning from tuners can hurt autos.

Now that you've checked PSN for this info, please continue to do so to avoid getting incorrect information that made you swap a perfectly good PCM.
There's as much BS and disinformation on this website as there is on others. When dealing with injectors, there are too many biased opinions that are kept in the background. People don't talk about these differences or the differences between the people that differ on injectors. Some people think it's OK to shim them up and others believe it's mandatory to remachine them to standards. HUGE difference in approach and, in my experience, results. Go with ones that are machined back to standards. Shims suck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you cant use an auto tuner on a manual truck. i had this problem a few months back but my experiences were with a chip, not a tuner. But i had the same mindset as you, "why not, got nothin to lose" i had a 6 position chip my buddy gave me that was burned for an auto and i had no response from the PPS at low rpms. removed the chip and it was like someone poured me some horsepower in the fuel tank.
it is an old Superchips Mirco tuner with "cookie cutter" tunes in it. when i picked it up from my cousin, I read thru the instructions and it says its good for all 94-03 Powerstrokes, both auto and manual. Dont' really feel a big difference in power, although I can tell a difference.

--Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.